Chapter 42: The Phantom

Evelyn rolled over on the makeshift bed she slept on last night. It wasn't the most comfortable but at least she got some rest.

"He's pinched for sure, man," JJ said as he stood by the window.

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him," Pope said walking up to the boy.

"Let's hope," JJ said.

"You know we were in the car. They're probably looking for us, too," Kiara said.

"Being an outlaw isn't exactly what I had in mind for the summer," Evelyn huffed.

"Well if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B," Pope said.

"So, find him before they do?" JJ asked.

Pope grabbed the keys to JJ's bike and started walking toward the door.

"Where are you going?" Evelyn asked.

"I'm going to get gas for the boat," Pope said.

"Just be careful," Kiara said, "Okay?"

Pope looked at the girl for a moment before turning back to JJ, "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

Evelyn glanced toward Kiara who got up and walked after Pope, "Okay what is your problem?"

"No problem officer, I'm just doing my job," Pope said getting on JJ's bike.

"Look, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings," Kiara said.

Pope started revving the engine of the bike as Kiara was trying to talk to him.

"What the heck is his problem?" Evelyn as JJ.

"I have not idea," JJ said.

Pope took of on the bike leaving Kiara standing there staring at him. She turned back around and started walking back toward The Wreck. The noise of a helicopter caught Evelyn's attention. She looked up to se one flying over them.

"Who they hell is that?" JJ asked.

"This can't be good," Evelyn said.

- -

"You sure he just wasn't being weird Pope?" JJ asked as he was putting food on a box.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation," Kiara said handing JJ more food.

"Is this going to be enough food for them?" Evelyn questioned looking in the box.

"I mean for a couple of weeks and that's all the need, so..." JJ said.

"Look, I think I hurt his feelings," Kiara said.

"Look don't beat yourself up too much," JJ said as he walked toward the door, "He's completely changed his feels. The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde."

"JJ's right Kie. We've all been through a roller coaster of emotions," Evelyn said.

"I hate to admit it but I miss the old Pope," Kiara said walking to her car, "At least I knew what to expect from him."

"Where you been?" Kiara's mom asked walking up to the group.

"I—I'm fine. I slept here," Kiara said as JJ put the box of food in the trunk.

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, lookin for you," Kiara's mom said, "Were you even gonna tell us?"

"Well, I'm telling you right now," Kiara said.

"All right what the hell are you three up to?" she asked.

"I'm sorry Mrs Anna, we just gotta go," JJ said.