Chapter 8: Lunch With The Enemy

The sun shining through Evelyn's window woke her up the next morning. With a groan she rolled over and checked the time on her phone. 12:00. She pulled herself out of bed making her way to the attached bathroom. Looking at herself in the mirror confirmed that she looked exactly how she felt, like shit. Evelyn drug herself into the shower and let the water run over her body trying to wash away the anger from last night.

After her argument with JJ last night Evelyn left John B's house without even going to check on him. She was so pissed at JJ for what he had said. How dare he accuse her of taking Toppers side, she was simply just trying to tell JJ that pulling a gun on Topper wasn't okay. JJ could get in serious trouble for that.

When the water ran cold she figured it was time to get out. She walked over to her closet putting on a swimsuit, jean shorts, and a white crop tank top.

Slipping on socks and her high top converse she made her way down stairs. A grumble in her stomach made her turn toward the kitchen instead of heading out of the door.

Kie Baby 🐢🌊:
Heading to John B's. See you there?

Evelyn went to type back as she entered the kitchen.

"Evelyn," her mom said making her look up.

Evelyn's eyes immediately went to Topper who was standing next to her dad.

"How nice of you to join us," her mom said.

"What is he doing here?" Evelyn asked glaring at Topper.

"I invited him over for lunch, remember?" her dad said.

Shit. After everything that happened yesterday Evelyn had forgotten that her dad and invited Topper over for lunch. Now she was going to be stuck here for awhile.

"It's such a nice day," her mom said, "Why don't we eat out on the patio."

"What a lovely idea Allison," her dad said.

"Hun could you grab the lemonade and water from the fridge," her mom said.

"Sure," Evelyn said as her mom and dad walked out of the kitchen.

She glared at Topper before looking back down at her phone.

Evie Baby 💛🌊:
Gonna have to come by later. Parents have me on lockdown for lunch 🙄

Evelyn slipped her phone in the back pocket of her shorts before walking over to the fridge and grabbing out a pitcher of water and lemonade.

"Let me help you," Topper said walking over and grabbing one from her.

"Thanks," Evelyn said.

"Look about last night..." Topper said.

"I don't want to hear it Topper," Evelyn said trying to walk past the boy.

"Ev, wait," Topper said grabbing her arm.

"No!" Evelyn snapped turning to look at the boy, "You don't get to come in my house and tell me what to do."

"I think you're overreacting a bit," Topper said.

"Overreacting?! Topper you tried to drown John B," Evelyn said.

"Yeah and that little boyfriend of yours put a gun to my head," Topper snapped making Evelyn take a step back.

She knew Topper wouldn't actually hurt her but his burst of anger frightened her a bit.

"JJ is not my boyfriend," Evelyn huffed.

"Yeah well you coulda fooled me," Topper said pushing past the girl.

"Why do you care anyway?" Evelyn asked turning around, "You're dating Sarah."

"I care because JJ is no good. He's just a lying, stealing, corrupting dirty Pogue," Topper said.

"You don't even know him," Evelyn said.

"I know enough about him to know that you're too good for him," Topper said.

Evelyn was about to say something when her mom opened the back door, "What's taking so long?"

"Sorry ma'am," Topper said turning toward her mom, "Couldn't find the lemonade in the refrigerator."

"Oh no problem," she said, "Come out before the sandwiches ruin."

Topper glanced back at Evelyn before walking out of the door.

"Are you coming sweetheart?" her mom asked.

"Umm yeah," Evelyn said, "I just gotta grab the cups."

With a nod Evelyn's mom shut the back door joining them outside. Evelyn sighed setting down the water jug and walking to the cupboard to grab some cups. Great, now everyone hated her. She blinked away the tears that were forming in her eyes as she plastered a smile on her face.

As she walked outside the conversation that her dad and Topper were having filled her ears, though she wasn't quite pay attention to what they were saying.

"So," her mom said, "How was the party last night?"

"Oh umm it was good," Evelyn said.

"I heard this morning at the club that some kid pulled a gun," her dad said, "Is that true?"

Evelyn glanced at Topper who looked back at her.

"I'm not sure," Topper said, "If they did must have been after we left."

Evelyn let out a shaky breath. Thankfully Topper didn't throw JJ under the bus.

"That is awful. Seriously what has this world come to," her mom said.

"Well no doubt it was on of those Pogues," her father added.

"Dad," Evelyn said.

"What honey? I'm just being truthful," he said.

"Well regardless I'm glad the two of you were all right," her mom said.

"Yeah Topper. Thanks for always taking care of my baby girl," her dad said clasping his hand on Toppers shoulder, "Unlike those other friends of yours."

"Dad," Evelyn groaned, "Can we please not talk about this now."

"You don't ever want to talk about this Evelyn. Those people aren't good for you," he said.

"Those people have names and they're my friends," Evelyn said.

"Real friends don't constantly get you into trouble," her mom said.

"I'm not doing this right now," Evelyn said standing from the table.

"Where do you think you're going young lady," her father said.

"To John B's. Where my friend are," Evelyn said walking into the house before her parents could protest.