Chapter 16: You're Not A Pogue

Evelyn was laying on the front of the HMS Pogue tanning.

"You guys see that," JJ said catching her attention, "That's the Malibu 24-MXZ, the worlds finest wakesetter. Number one in luxury, quality, and performance. 200 K, easy."

"We picked the wrong parents," Pope said.

"I hate to break it to you guys, but that's Topper and his girlfriend," Kiara said.

Evelyn looked over making eye contact with Topper for a second before turning her head away.

"You don't have to act like you don't see us, bitch," Kiara said as they passed.

"Let's just go so that I'm not late," Evelyn said.

"What are you doing again, exactly?" JJ asked.

"I don't know. Some beach cleanup," Evelyn said, "My parents are making me go."

"I think it's great that you're cleaning up the beaches," Kiara said.

"Me too. I just wish I wasn't going to be around the people I'm going to be around," Evelyn said.

"You'll be fine," Pope said.

"Yeah, and we'll pick you up later on," John B said

--

"Hey, Evelyn," someone said making her turn.

"Hey Kelce," Evelyn said smiling at the boy.

"Long time no see," Kelce said pulling her into a hug.

"Yeah," Evelyn said pulling away from the boy, "What have you been up to?"

"You know just the same ole same ole," Kelce said, "What about you?"

"Same," Evelyn said.

"You wanna drink?" Kelce asked holding out the bottle in his hand.

As soon as it got close to her nose she smelled the alcohol, "No thanks."

"He's a Pogue," Topper said catching Evelyn's attention, "At the end of the day. I mean you can say we're all just people, or whatever, but it's a totally different mindset on the cut."

"Actually," Evelyn said turning to Kelce, "I think I will take a drink of that."

She grabbed the bottle from him and took two big swings, the liquid not running down her throat easily.

"Top, you look thirsty man," Kelce said as Evelyn handed him back the bottle.

"Okay, what do we--what do we got here," Topper said.

"Have some of that, baby," Kelce said handing him the bottle.

"Oh my god," Topper said sniffing the liquid before taking a sip.

"That's how we do it baby," Kelce said.

"Oh. man. Come on, Sarah," Topper said handing her the bottle.

Sarah sniffed the bottle making a disgusted face, "What did you do to this?"

"Oh come on Sarah. Even Evelyn here took a big swig," Kelce said putting his arm around the girl making her body stiffen.

She glanced at Topper who was eyeing Kelce's arm. Wheezie grabbed the bottle from Sarah taking a quick sip before the girl took it back.

"Since when did you start drinking?" Sarah asked.

"Since today," Wheezie said.

"Great going, Kelce," Sarah said.

"You guys got it under control?" a man asked walking by.

"Yes sir!" Kelce said removing his arm from Evelyn and jogging back to the cooler.

"Looking good, sir!" Topper said.

"Just hydrating," Sarah said.

"Great job, keep it up," the man said.

"I'm gonna go with Wheezie," Sarah said kissing Topper on the cheek.

"Yeah, for sure," Topper said, "I'll find you a little bit later."

Evelyn turned trying not to get stuck in a conversation with Topper.

"You're not gonna say hi," Topper said making her stop.

"Hi, Topper," Evelyn said turning back around.

"Didn't expect to see you here," Topper said.

"Why? Figured I'd been hanging out on the cut too much," Evelyn said, referring to what she heard Topper say, "Maybe changed my mindset."

"Evelyn," Topper said taking a step toward her.

"No, Topper. I don't have to stand around here and listen to you bash my friends," Evelyn said, "You don't even know any of them."

"I've told you I know enough," Topper said.

"Whatever. You know they are way better than half of the people I know who live on figure eight," Evelyn said, "And you and my parents wonder why I prefer to hangout with them over rich assholes like you."

Evelyn turned to walk away, not wanting to have this conversation anymore.

"But your still here at the end of the day, aren't you?" Topper said making the girl stop, "And tonight you're still gonna go home to that big house of yours and sleep in that big bed that your mommy and daddy's money paid for. Just like the rest of us. You're not a Pogue, Evelyn. The sooner you realize that the better, before they do and dump you. Then who will you have?"

Evelyn huffed and started to walk away from Topper before she punched him in the face.

"You're only walking away because you know I'm right," Topper yelled at the girl as she flipped him off.

--

Evelyn was gathered in the circle along with he rest of the people who were cleaning up the beach.

"Just a moment, friends, to acknowledge our blessings," the guy said.

Everyone grabbed hand, which Evelyn did not want to do since Topper and decided to stand right beside her.

"To the big Kahuna," the man said.

Evelyn glared at Sarah who was giggling as Topper shushed her.

"Thank you for the opportunity for us to come out here and restore Masonborough to its virgin glory," the man said making Topper and Sarah both laugh, "Amen."

Was this guy serious? He had to have known what he was saying sounded inappropriate. If Evelyn wouldn't have been so pissed off she probably would have laughed too. Evelyn glared at Topper who put his arm around Sarah pulling her away.

Sorry this chapter is so short!

~A