Chapter Fourteen ۞ Special Class

Start from the beginning

"I don't think it'll be any different for me. I haven't exactly been fighting with any power controls, either." She said, hesitantly taking her seat in one of the chairs.

"That's my chair!" Cail roared.

Valeriana jumped.

"Haha! Just kidding! Can't believe you fell for it."

She sighed.

"You're the human, right?" Coral's gaze was wide. "How shocking was it to be actually Valemnian?"

She gave a smile at this. "I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel."

"We wanted to recruit you before but the Twelve got you first. It must feel lonely, right? Did they treat you fine?" Coral looked genuinely concerned.

"I admit the Twelve were a bit harsh on me first." She started, but before they could say anything, she hurriedly continued. "But they're really good people after you get to know them. I think they just generally find it hard to trust people."

"Do you hate them then?" Cail asked. "After all they did to you."

A smile found its way on her lips. "I'm annoyed by their attitude but I don't hate them. They're good people, just a bit on the odd side. I think they just need a little time to mature and stuff."

Cail seemed to agree with her. "Do you know what sort of area I specialize in?"

"What?"

"I can tell when someone lies or when they don't." After a short pause to watch how she would react, he continued. "Other than that, I'm able to see approximately how many lies they've told their entire lifetime and how deceiving or manipulative they are--if I can trust them or not. Their guilts, their regrets, pretty much how much they sinned."

His smile was putting Valeriana on the edge. It felt as though she was wearing practically nothing in front of him.

"The heavier their guilt goes, the more susceptible they become to demonic influence."

"Stop scaring her!" Coral slapped his shoulder, making him wince. "He just meant to say that you're telling the truth, and you seem like a good person."

"I was getting to that."

"Mine is the weakest kind of direct control." Coral whispered. "I'm not exactly proud of what I could do since it's nothing much compared to Zander or Cail . . . "

Valeriana patiently listened.

"Everyone has weaknesses. It just turns out I know exactly what and where they are."

"That's not exactly a small thing . . ." Valeriana felt her anxiety building up at the casual statement.

"And Zander--"

A picture appeared inside Valeriana's mind of her standing dumbly in the doorway. Like a zapped with electricity, it made her jump for the second time.

"You are--"

"My connection with auras allow me to directly project an image into someone else's head." He said, then returned his attention to whatever he was doing before--reading a book?

"What about you?"

"I guess seeing auras is not a new thing for you guys?"

They shook their heads.

"I guess I can see memories through skin contact." She told them. "I'm still finding out about what I can do, though. I only recently found out."

"Well, welcome to the club! You pass the initiation!"

"There was an initiation?"

She was ignored.

"And, just a little tip, we usually know who to trust and who not to trust." Coral began.

"That girl you were with?"

"We suggest staying away from her."

Valeriana was about to open her mouth to defend Chavi, but Zander cut in.

"We have no professor--"

"You have one now."

Heads turned to the doorway.

"No way!" They gasped.

Dressed in laced up boots, long-sleeved dress shirt, and ruffled pants, the lord came off a lot more fashionable than his previous get-up. The unmistakable golden color of both the hair and eyes made them blink and rub the crust out of their eyes.

"Lord Lienhard?!"

"Who else would it be?"

Support the series on patreon.com/MyLovelyWriter and get rewards.