Chapter Twenty-One: London-y New York, 1953

Start from the beginning

"Apparently, as long as you aren't looking it in the pendant, your fine." I said dryly, holding up the chain. He shook his head, holding the clasp in his hand and scanning it with the sonic. A small spark jumped from it, causing me to jump in surprise.

"There we are! Should be good as new." He said, pocketing the sonic again. "Need a hand?"

"Do you mind?" I turned around, taking great care to drape the chains over my shoulders and keep the locket clutched in my hand. He took either side of the chain, his fingers brushing the back of my neck as he clasped it.

"Its almost like the locket's as insecure about its appearance as you are." The Doctor pointed out as I turned to face him again. I rolled my eyes.

"I thought we'd be going for the Vegas era." Rose called from outside. I followed her out, glancing around. "You know, the white flares and the grrr chest hair."

"You are kidding, aren't you?" The Doctor asked, sticking his head out the door to address her. "If you wanna see Elvis, you go to the late '50s. The time before burgers, when they called him 'The Pelvis' and he still had a waist!" 

"Not to mention before Colonel Tom Parker destroyed him, the wanker." I threw in, adjusting my skirt around my legs. Rose laughed at this. 

"What's more, you see him in style." 

The sound of an engine came roaring from the TARDIS, prompting Rose and I to both whip around as the Doctor drove out of the TARDIS on a dark, TARDIS colored moped, with a white helmet on his head and sunglasses on his face. He had a pink and blue helmet dangling from each arm, both the perfect matching shade of our dresses. 

He pulled around to a smooth stop, offering us both an Elvis-esque smile.

"You goin' my way doll?" He asked, in his best Elvis impression.

"Is there any other way to go, Daddy-o?" Rose replied, putting her pink sunglasses on her eyes. "Straight from the fridge, man!" 

"Hey! You speak the lingo!" The Doctor laughed, tossing her the pink helmet. 

"Yeah, well me and Mu, Cliff Richard movies every Bank Holiday Monday." She said, putting it on and climbing on behind him. The Doctor tossed me my own helmet and I shrugged.

"Ah, Cliff. I knew your mother'd be a Cliff fan."

"What do you expect me to do with this?" I asked, holding it up. "Doctor, that thing's tiny, you can't possibly expect to fit three of us on that."

"Oh, sure we can. We'll just have to get a bit creative." He grabbed my wrist, pulling me so that I fell into him, sitting sideways in his lap. I shook my head, holding the helmet in my lap.

"This can't be legal."

"Since when has that stopped us?" He asked, smiling confidently at me. I shook my head and rolled my eyes, pulling the helmet onto my head and looking at the Doctor. His eyes watched as my fingers fastened the helmet under my chin, before gravitating lower to where the pendant of my locket sat on my chest. My hand shot out of its own accord, grabbing his face and smushing his cheeks together before shoving his head up to meet my eyes again.

"Eyes front, Doctor." I said before I could stop myself. He looked at me, confused, and I furrowed my eyebrows as I pulled my hand away from his face, trying to process what had just happened. "You um...you've got to be driving, remember so...eyes on the road."

"Right...course." He said, revving the engine before taking off down the road. I screamed slightly, wrapping an arm around his shoulders in order to steady myself as he took off down the suburban street we'd landed on.