happy birthday jennie

Start from the beginning

"right! come on wifey this will be the last time but the official one." rosie convinced, making jennie giggle.

"fine."

i pull out my phone from my back pockets and tap the camera icon. just like what i did earlier, i recorded jennie as she close her eyes for a few seconds before blowing the candles.

"yayyy! so what next? movie marathon?" rosie suggested and it didn't escape my eyes how jennie's smile faltered a little.

"right now?" there was a reluctance in jennie's voice and thankfully i won't be the one to point out jennie's hesitation because jisoo finally noticed.

"why? do you have plans?" jisoo asked in curiosity.

"actually—" jennie's words was cut off when we heard the doorbell rang. we all simultaneously turn our heads towards it. i returned my eyes on jennie and caught her swallowing.

"who's that?"

jennie shut her eyes close tightly. she heave a deep breathe before finally looking at our puzzled expressions.

"uh actually guys. i have something to tell you."

"hi." the guy wave at us, showing us a friendly smile. not just any guy actually. he's a known kpop idol. a very famous one.

and right that moment, i knew i should've trusted my guts when i felt the uneasiness since the start. the discomfort i was feeling awhile ago came back, stronger and much worse. i feel like i will actually throw up.

"it's nice to officially meet you. i'm a fan of your songs." he bowed a little. jisoo's the first one to snap out of our initial shock.

it should be us who's supposed to surprise jennie but she's the one who dropped the biggest bomb on us.

"it's nice to meet you as well." jisoo started with her practiced professional smile and a little bow. she then turned to jennie, who keeps fidgeting and chewing her lower lips.

"jennie?" the oldest member of our group asked. it was directed at jennie with the purpose of seeking for an explanation.

"g-girls this is.. uh well you already know who he is.." jennie stop mid-sentence. she was stammering so bad.

i would've preferred it if she just stabbed me right on the chest than muttering those two words.

"we're dating."

"lisa." my heartbeat quickened inside my chest upon hearing her voice. it's the kind of beating that hurts. suffocating even.

the last time i felt this was when i brought her on the rooftop restaurant in thailand. the view was spectacular. we could see the city lights from the top. but no matter how magical the view was, it failed in comparison when i saw her feline eyes gleaming in happiness.

i can't believe i'll experienced it again but in a completely different situation.

"can you stay for a while?" she requested in a small voice. jisoo and rosie look at us with an expression i couldn't read. then their watchful eyes focused on me, waiting. waiting for what? for my answer? or for me to finally break?

but they didn't know. they have no idea what i'm going through. or what the hell's happening between jennie and me. they didn't, right? but deep inside i feel like they do know but just chose to not meddle with us.

"would you like some tea?"

i answer her with a shake of my head. jennie lead me outside, towards her unit's balcony. i leaned my arms on the railing while watching the blinking lights from the city below us. i remember my earlier thought about my memory with the city lights.