01

2020, early winter

A little boy with a bucket painting stars in the sky.

That's what this season's artwork on the side of the building is. Just this fall, it was a girl raising a paper airplane on this exact spot; in the summer, it was another kid on a swing, and in spring, it was a child with an opened suitcase, their toys falling out and drifting into a stream.

Lost childhood, perhaps. That's what happens when the world stands still, Namjoon thinks. He'd written a song about it - the things we lost during the time when time froze, and maybe just like these paintings, life continued to go on. The yearning remains, though, and he can see it on the piece that he's been looking at for minutes now.

Maybe the artist is young, mourning their own youth that slipped from their fingers. Maybe it's someone a little older, mourning it for others. Maybe it's just a person who's trying to understand the situation through a child's eyes - with innocence, confusion, trust. Maybe it's—

The sound of footsteps disrupts Namjoon's thoughts. It's 2AM and he's a little surprised that someone is in the area at this time. It's a busy street during the day and the crowd falls away early. It's completely deserted by this hour; it's why he likes taking this route from the office to his apartment. He's always liked walking home regardless of the distance, but it's at night when he feels most free, and it's become something he looks forward to everyday.

He's about to turn away when he notices a figure run up to the small building where the painting he was just admiring is. The individual lays their bag on the floor and retrieves a paintbrush and a pail, seemingly about to continue their work that Namjoon didn't even realize was still unfinished.

"Fuck," the voice curses out. "Fuck fuck fucking shit. Why do I always forget my hot packs!"

The person removes their mask and blows into their cupped hands, rubbing them after in hopes of sustaining the heat from the friction.

"Just a bit more," they continue, gloved hand now pointing ripples by the boy's legs as he stands in a body of water. "Just a bit more."

As chattering teeth and the blowing of air on hands continue, Namjoon decides to make himself known. The stranger is clearly trying to finish their work - and he's curious to see this all unfold, finding amusement in watching an artist in action - but the cold air is quite uncomfortable.

"Hey," he says, as the figure stops their movements. "I'm not a creep, I promise. I was just looking at your work but you're freezing and I... I've got some extra hot packs with me."

You slowly turn around with furrowed brows. This is the first time you've come across another person during the early mornings you paint on this specific building. You've gotten used to the emptiness of this street at this time, but somehow, hearing this man's deep, rough voice is giving you comfort. Especially since he's offering something you need.

"Sure, that would be great," you say, blowing into your hands again.

He slowly walks forward - clad in a thick hoodie and beanie, his mask covering half of his face. He looks familiar, but you don't have much time to place where you know him from. You take the hot packs he offers, squeeze one with your free hand while the other continues on with the piece that you want to finish tonight.

"Will it take much longer?" He asks, his voice kind. "I didn't know it was unfinished and it's quite interesting to see an artist complete their work. So, uh, can I watch?"

You turn towards him. On a normal day, you'd turn him away. You're not too keen on anyone on your ass while you finish something, but he doesn't seem like a creep and he was kind enough to give you hot packs at a time like this, so you nod.