"OK let me see." I swim beside him and place a hand on his stomach.

"So breathe in with your stomach, then focus on your heartbeat, or if it's too hard to think about your heartbeat focus on something else. For me, when trying to go longer, I make lists in my mind." I take my other hand and track his heartbeat.

It takes a second for it to slow down but his face wrinkles as he focuses harder.

Then the rhythm underneath my fingertips slows down, his heartbeat slowing. I count the time that passes by.

He continues holding his breath for a whole 71 counts! I didn't expect for it to sort of just click with him like that.

Compared to other people in our clan this was about the time of a 3 year old but for the forest people this was much better.

Neteyam releases his breath quickly again. "How long was that?" He asks, breathing quickly after holding it for longer than he was used to.

"71 counts!" I excitedly say, clapping my hands in praise with a large smile on my lips.

Neteyam chuckles as he continues to try and catch his breath, he gives me a sharp-toothed smile. I don't know why I feel so excited. With the younger kids if they accomplish something like this I don't feel this way.

But now it's different. It's probably because I'm proud of him that he could come from the forest and already be progressing on breath holds.

His smile falls as he looks behind me. I turn around to see Ao'nung and Rotxo snickering and pointing. I knew they were teasing again and rolled my eyes.

I turn back to Neteyam and shake my head. "Don't worry about them, they aren't important." I say with him returning his attention to me but his smile has been wiped off.

The rest of the breathing exercises go calmly, I was upset with my brother and his friend so I would be talking with them later, as it soured the mood when they were making fun.

"It is lunchtime, let's take a break for a while. After we eat my siblings and I have some daily things to do before we can return to lessons before dinner. Feel free to explore just don't go past the barrier. Many dangers lay waiting so stay on this side and you'll be safe. Bye for now." I say with a wave and skip to my next destination.

I meet my mother who has made lunch for our family. Only breakfast and dinner were where we ate the large meals, lunch was reserved to eat with just your family. It was a quicker meal, only supposed to last until dinner.

"Hello Y/n." She greets with her calm voice.

"Hey mom, what's for lunch?" I ask as I lean toward her preparations, reaching for a piece of my favorite snack. My hand gets swatted away like a child's.

"Be patient Y/n." My mother scolds with a small smile as I cradle my hand.

As I was waiting for her to hand out our servings I talked with Tsireya. "How did the lessons go for you, Reya?" I ask remembering that she was teaching Lo'ak, also recalling that when she was guiding him he seemed quite flustered.

She peeks at our mom while holding a finger up to her lips signaling for me to shush.

I giggle and watch expectantly for her to reply.

"They went alright, who knew their lungs would hold so little? It's a little bit difficult." I nod as I recall that I thought similar things.

"And what's up with their hearts beating so fast?" I giggle and she joins in. "It also doesn't help that Ao'nung and Rotxo won't stop teasing." I shoot my brother a look and he just smirks.