The Move

Mom's black van traveled down the gravel road, away from the town I was born and raised in. Everything, all my friends, my memories -- poof -- gone. Now, I had to start all over again in a huge city.

"Come on, you could at least look a little enthusiastic," Mom complained, glancing at me in the rearview mirror. The thing was, I wasn't happy about this at all. Did she realize how hard it is to start over as a teenager? I can't just walk up to someone and ask if they wanted to be friends like I did in primary school. It took social skills and I really didn't have much of that. I always had the same friends from when I was a child.

"You want me to pretend? I can do that." I cleared my throat and mocked her. "Oh, I am so happy to start my life completely over. I absolutely can't wait, mom!"

She let out an exasperated sigh. "Okay, fine -- forget I said anything." She adjusted her glasses and glanced at me again. "You can't stay mad at me forever, you know. I am only doing what's best for the both of us."

You scoffed, "I can try."

"You know what? I don't deserve this. Ever since Dad died, you have been nothing but rude to me. I have been working my tail off to earn this promotion and get us a better house to live in," She huffed and relaxed, "I know this is difficult for you, but taking it out on me isn't right. This is hard for me too."

I felt guilty. She was right. I was just mad that I had to start all over again and that dad couldn't be here either to start this new life with us. Mom didn't deserve my bratty remarks.

"I'm sorry." I laid my head on the window, looking out at the trees that darted past. After that, it was a silent trip to the city.

By what mom was describing, the house was in a suburban neighborhood, just a train ride away from the school I'll be attending. It was different from my old school, which I would walk to.

I flipped through the images of the house on my phone, trying to get an idea of what it looked like. The house was two-story, and the top floor was practically an attic, containing a bathroom and bedroom to which I called dibs on. Mom didn't really care though. She probably didn't want to hear me complaining any more than I was.

Now the school is the one I was most curious about. Luckily, my grades got me into a nice school, a big, fancy one to be exact. The school had multiple floors and was huge, way bigger than my old one. The high school's backyard was a huge forest that was gated off. I bet that I would hear rumors about how scary the forest was, something teachers would start so students wouldn't try to disobey and climb the fence.

After a long drive, we rolled into the neighborhood. It was too suburban for my liking. The houses were packed close together, but overall, the neighborhood was nice. Our old house was more in the country, the only things you could hear were the cicadas and the rain that would fall often. However, I was in Kichijōji now -- named the most desirable place to live according to Google.

Finally, Mom stopped the van in front of our new house. The pictures I found online painted a lovely home, but when we saw it in real life, it needed a paint job desperately and looked like no one had lived there for years. Maintained to look decent, but not enough apparently.

"Damn, Photoshop," Mom grunted and hopped out of the van.

"You didn't come in person to look at it?" I asked, hopping out of the truck too.