Torc facial muscles twitched.  I clearly saw the restraint in his eyes.  He turned to look at me and again his expression cleared to one of curiosity.  I quickly turned away.

The King still laughing gruffly, “Yes, you keep your weapons brightly polished and well sheathed ...”

“Does your majesty remember the battle of Culedge?  Your leadership was impressive that day...” Torc interrupted and the King took the encouragement and started boasting about his accomplishments on the battlefield.  Torc smiled at him but his eyes were hard and unforgiving.

“As I said these men will be a danger to your ladies Maeb,” Colm whispered to me, “When everyone else is stumbling around or passed out they will be bright eyed, clear headed and hunting.”

“Your brother speaks a good warning Queen Maeb.  Your women will be seduced tonight, all the women,” his clear light blue eyes flashed to me and in that moment I felt an intense weakness.

 I closed my eyes quickly and calmed myself, “Don’t underestimate the women of this house, we are strong willed.” I said quietly but with clear warning.

“Yes, I can see that,” he said just as quietly back and smiled again while he chuckled under his breath.  Again I felt my breath quicken and my pulse race and unfamiliar longings grip me.

 I silently ground my teeth and found my strength and again fought the intense desires that flooded into me.  What was this man doing to me?  No,I was not naive, his charms would not work on me. Breathing deeply I fiercely exerted my fury and stubborn pride and pushed it out to spread across my body.  I was a Queen not a weak minded woman.

I turned away from his eyes but caught a slightly frustrated crease appear on his brow as I did.  He laughed and muttered, “Later then,” before turning his attention back to the Kings rambling story.  The King seemed not to notice the exchange around him.

Soon enough the meal was cleared away and the tables drawn back for the entertainment. 

The dancers in their colourful and not altogether covering costumes came out to the beat of a taut drum.  The dance was simple enough but the four women and three men moved well together and the audience appreciated it.

“Fresh blood, Madame Cassaire has new dancers!” the King enthused.  “A private performance I need a private performance to assess the... skills of your new additions Madame Cassaire,” He bellowed to the old lady with the drum.

I knew better than to say anything at this time.  To emphasise my presence would only remind the King of how little I resembled the dancers which he lusted over.  It would only emphasis how unhappy he was with me and would bring on his anger.  No, now was the time I was quiet and subdued.   I felt Colm move as to stand. 

I grabbed his knee and hissed as quietly as I could, “Sit down, let him go.”

Luckily the Kings Chair was already scrapping as he stumbled up and made his way onto the dance floor to grope the dancers pulling them on to himself as he fell to the floor.  The men at the tables whooped their delight as the King herded several towards his chamber.  Madame Cassaire ushered the remaining dancers in that direction with the smallest nod of the head in my direction.

“That PIG!” Colm fumed partly under his breath.

“Colm, control your anger, that is the King and you are in his hall now.” I said calmly to him. “Father’s friend is not someone to insult.”

Colm’s eyes turned to me and his anger gave way to pity and remorse, “Ohh, Maeb ...”

“No Colm, this is not the time or the place for that either,” I growled and held myself tall and looked on the room with all the dignity I could muster.  I caught Torc looking at me with a half smile on his lips.

I stood.  Those who could still stand also stood.  

“Thank you guests to our hall, please enjoy your evening,” I excused myself as the serious drinking would now start.  As I left I noticed that Torc’s men, The Twelve, were already ‘hunting’ and a number of serving girls were now in compromising positions.   I silently hoped that that would quench their thirst, I hired serving girls with the expectation that this would be their fate.

“You hold yourself well, My Lady,” I turned to see Torc standing behind me in the doorway, he followed me into the courtyard.  “You keep your pain well hidden.”  His blue eyes bore into me as I now got a full understanding of the size of the man.  He might not have been a Godly in structure but he was tall and broad shouldered.  His fine robes did not hide his muscular physic.  In the bright moonlight his face showed no sign of youth but much of masculinity.  It was the sort of face that made you want to trace the bone structure with your fingers. 

“Don’t pretend you know me, Lord Torc,” I laughed humourlessly at him, “Your methods will not gain you entry to my bed.”  Even as I spoke I felt the wave of desire surge through me and I fought the impulse to reach out and press my flesh against the bulge that was making itself noticeable in his tunic.  I turned away and walked from him to stop myself making a fool of myself.

“Maeb,” he said softly from behind me, “Come to me, let me ease your pain.  I will take you places you have never been.  Let me take you.”

His words were like honey, sweet and sticky.  I felt a jolt of fire burn my insides as his hand ran down my neck and I felt his hardness pressing me from behind through all our clothing.  My loins stirred in a way they had not before.

NO! My mind shouted at myself, at my weak flesh. NO, No, no, you are not a whore.

I pushed away from him.

“Goodnight, Lord Torc, you will have better luck with the serving girls.” I didn’t turn to him I just walked away.

Don't forget to Vote!