Then, the door creaked open, but before he could sense my intentions and turn around to defend himself, I swiftly wrapped my right arm around his throat, forcing him to his knees. He struggled, attempting to pry my arm away, likely trying to scream, but my grip silenced any protests before they could escape his lips. His gasps were loud and clear, similar to the many times I had rendered a man breathless in such way.

Not even a fleeting pang of guilt washed over me. It was a sensation I never experienced. Every action I took was usually analyzed and deliberate. If I hadn't thoroughly considered it beforehand, I refrained from acting. So, once a decision was made, there was no room for regret.

It was a fundamental aspect of being a man, of orchestrating the movements of pawns and determining which sacrifices were necessary for the greater good of those around me. The woman had done nothing to earn my protection in the conventional sense, yet she had also done nothing to be denied it.

As the life drained from the guard's body, the his form slackened, his weight bearing down on my muscles before he collapsed entirely. With his body now a deadweight, I dragged him back to our previous location, briefly locking eyes with Xenia, whose expression registered sheer shock before she averted her gaze.

Ignoring any judgments she might have harbored, I continued to haul the body along the gravel until we reached the crypt, where I unceremoniously discarded it.

Reentering the noxious confines of the building meant increasing the distance between myself and my quarters, but it was a necessary risk.

In exchange for the life a seemingly innocent stranger, I had sacrificed that of our loyal guard. Thinking about it brought nothing but satisfaction to mind. Maybe because I told myself was doing it for the right reason.

I saw a streak of tear in the woman's eyes as I approached. Briefly, I wondered if it was my ruthless act of killing the guard for her sake that provoked her emotion, or if it was the realization that I was genuinely aiding her.

Without dwelling on it for long, I seized her wrist firmly and pulled her into the corridor, swiftly locking the door behind us after securing the key.

Individuals with pure intentions typically didn't resort to using the back doors to their quarters when the front entrance was available. Given that this particular door was rarely accessed by residents of this wing, the absence of the guard would likely go unnoticed until his colleagues reported it. And even if suspicions arose, no one of significance would dare entertain the notion that I had anything to do with his disappearance. Moreover, with the surveillance currently offline, the guard was effectively erased from memory.

Reaching the top of the stairs, I found myself in the familiar hallway leading to my room, though from the opposite direction this time. I walked ahead cautiously, with Xenia trailing behind, keeping an eye out for anyone approaching from below.

During festivities, the guards stationed in this area usually descended to reinforce security in the front yard, leaving the upper floor relatively deserted. I towered over Xenia by a foot, so her presence would remain discreet until anyone came into closer view.

Guiding her close to the walls, I ensured she stayed nearer to the solid surface than to the balustrade, where anyone below might spot us if their gaze happened to drift upward. I finally arrived at my door and inserted the key. I turned the lock.

As I pushed the door open, my grip on Xenia's arm slackened slightly, causing her to stumble and emit a soft yelp as she fell into the darkness of my room with a dull thud.

Before I could locate the switch, Xenia had already begun to rise from the floor. "Sorry about that," I muttered and collected my suit from her.

Though she didn't verbally acknowledge my apology, I sensed her silent assent.