Chapter 8

Trust me, things are going to get much more interesting from the next chapter onwards😏, stay tuned!
Sophie checked out her reflection in the mirror as she fastened her cape and put on her circlet. She reminded herself to focus on the task at hand and worry about finding Elysian later.
Of course, she and her friends wanted to work on it right away after watching the forbidden secret in Fintan's cache, but the council just had to schedule the meeting with Cadfael the next day. Not that it wasn't important. While they met with Cadfael, the rest of her friends would be training at Everglen. After all, they needed to be as prepared as they could be to meet with Elysian, given how powerful she was. So it was probably wise to wait, but Sophie couldn't help but feel frustrated as she walked out to the pastures, where her teammates and councillors were already waiting for her at Calla's panakes.
"Remember, speak with caution. Cadfael may have guaranteed not to attack us for the meeting this time, but that does not change the fact that he has or currently might be working with the Neverseen. Keep your eyes open for imminent danger at all times," Bronte reminded them before raising his green pathfinder to the light, and they leaped to the ogre capital.
The first thing Sophie noticed when they arrived in Ravagog was how different the place was since they had last been there. Apart from the training area for the soldiers, very much seemed to have changed. The civilians had seemed rather out of place before as they were surrounded by the ogre workforce, yet the surroundings now seemed to give off a different vibe with various glowing microorganisms artfully arranged, forming a path towards a newly constructed central marketplace at the heart of the city, where the other ogres now resided. It made Sophie wonder what kind of ruler Cadfael was and what the people thought of him after noticing the changes that had been brought about by his rule.
"There is no time for sightseeing. We are not here to linger, and we are due for our audience with the king," Bronte barked, snapping Sophie out of her thoughts. They followed the councillors as they entered the throne room, which Sophie recognised with a sickening jolt to be the one they had stolen the supposed cure from Dimitar before. Sat perched on the enormous throne was Cadfael.
"Welcome, welcome," he sneered as Sophie forced herself into a bow along with her teammates. "Let's not dwell on formalities," councillor Emery cut in, diving straight into the heart of the matter. "We have received reports that you challenged Dimitar's rule with the help of ogres that still remained loyal to you. But let's get to the point, shall we? I'm sure we all know that it is impossible to defeat a ruler with an entire battalion with just a few ogres. Did the Neverseen help you?" He asked.
"I won't deny that they offered me their help and I accepted it," Cadfael replied flatly. "I am aware that it comes with a cost, but I was at my wit's end, and surely Dimitar wasn't going to allow a betrayer like me back into his city. So the Neverseen simply helped me convince them that I was the better choice to lead them in the very near future. Once the Neverseen achieve their vision.," he answered.
"What sort of demonstration would that have been then?" Sophie spoke up. She tasted bile in her throat when Cadfael gave his reply. "The one I assume was their leader -the one who escaped from the ogre prison- offered me a bargain. I was reluctant at first of course, given that it was their offer that led me to my ruin. But they showed me the power they had at their disposal. All I had to do was let my soldiers put on some kind of gadget at the back of their necks and I would be able to control them. Force them into submission, and show the other ogres that I was not to be messed with. " Sophie gritted her teeth. She was right. Gisela was working with the Neverseen again now that Vespera was dead.

"At what cost?" Biana said quietly. "All she requested was for the help of the army when the Neverseen wanted it," he said.
"Why are you telling us this?" Stina asked.
"Because I have assumed the responsibility of a ruler, and all I want right now is to help my people. I'm sure the Neverseen have something else planned, and I have done my part by telling you this information. There is nothing else I can do, or else I'm sure the Neverseen will come after me," he exclaimed.
"Then I suppose our hands are tied. From a ruler to another, I strongly advise that you think twice before accepting any bargains from the Neverseen, but in the meantime, I think it would be unwise to replace another ruler as it would make the people even more insecure. However, should you stand against us, you shall face the full wrath of the elves," Emery responded and that was the last Sophie saw of the king before they stepped once again into the light.
It was even more important to find Elysian now and stop the Neverseen given that they had not secured the ogres' support. Cadfael's information had tallied with what Empress Permille had said, and Gisela was now leading the Neverseen again. She also had to figure out what kind of technology the Neverseen were using to control the different species. They needed to think ahead, and try to figure out the Neverseen's plans before it was too late.
Tomorrow, she was going to stop by Everglen for some training to get ready to face Elysian. At least things were going to get interesting.