Chapter Seventeen: I Don't Remember

Start from the beginning

"He'll be inside!" I jumped through the bushes and onto the porch, rushing through a pair of french doors and plummeting into a room full of party goers. Rose followed closely behind as I combed the room, my eyes finally finding the Doctor dressed in a tux. The look he gave me told me he had already worked out the threat that was rapidly approaching the house. He came to a stop in front of me.

"Cybus!" We said in unison before turning around and booking it toward the nearest window. The three of us peered out, the metallic robots coming into clear view and confirming the Doctor and I's identical suspicions.

They were Cybermen. We were about to be attacked by Cybermen. 

"Its happening again." The Doctor said.

"What do you mean?" Rose asked.

"I've seen them before." He explained. 

"What are they?"

"Cybermen." We said together, just as one of them came crashing through the window on the opposite end of the house. The party goers screamed, many of them ducking instinctually as more of them followed, shattering every window and stepping into Pete Tyler's living room.

"Where is Mickey?!" Rose whispered.

"He's fine, he's in good hands. I hope." I replied. The Doctor grabbed both of us, pulling us back into the crowd before moving up closer to them. We were all crowded against the wall while the Cybermen gathered on just about every other side of us. 

"Mr. Lumic." The man standing directly in front of us addressed. 

"Mr. President," A man's voice echoed, "I suppose a remark about 'crashing the party' would be appropriate at this point, sir."

"I forbade this."

"These are my children, sir. Would you deny my family?"

"What are they, robots?" Rose whispered.

"Worse than that." The Doctor answered, his eyes on me. I nodded slowly. 

"Who were these people?" The President asked.

"It doesn't matter." 

"They're people?" Rose questioned. 

"They were. Until they had all their humanity taken away. Its a living brain jammed inside a cybernetic body. With a heart of steel, all emotions removed."

"Why no emotions?"

"Because it hurts.

"I demand to know, Lumic, these people, who were they?!" The President pressed again.

"Their homeless people, are they not?" I called forward, prompting the Doctor to look at me with wide eyes. "The cold, hungry and desperate that you lured into your vans with the promise of food?"

"And who, may I ask, are you?" He called. 

"Doesn't matter." I shot back.

"They were homeless," He confirmed, "And wretched, and useless, until I saved them and elevated them and gave them life eternal. And now, I leave you in their capable hands. Goodnight, Mr. President." 

One of the Cybermen stepped up directly in front of the president. 

"How did you know that?" The Doctor whispered in my ear. 

"You stumbled right onto the doorstep of trouble, same as always," I whispered, "As it turns out, I seem to have the same...inclination."

"We have been upgraded." The Cyberman droned.