Chapter 11

Mike continued through the woods. He heard several birds chirping around him. He started to like the sounds of the birds but did not stop to admire them. Two squirrels chased each other around right in front of him and then went up the tree. He swatted away some mosquitos and went further into the woods. 

He stopped by a tree to tie his shoes. When he finished, he saw a butterfly perched on a flower. He stared at its wings slowly closing and opening. The butterfly flew away and Mike followed it with his eyes until he could no longer see it. He took a deep breath and started to walk again.

He wished he brought a water bottle and a snack. He turned around and was sure that he knew the way back. He was confident that he didn't take any turns. Up ahead he saw a log. He went and sat down on it. He stretched his arms and back until he heard something. In the distance, he saw a deer. He did his best to stay quiet so he wouldn't scare it. The deer bent down to eat some grass. A fawn came running from behind toward its mother. The fawn began to drink from its mother. Mike kept on watching until they suddenly looked up and saw him. They locked eyes until the deer sprinted off. He found himself smiling happily. He didn't remember the last time he felt genuinely happy. He thought it was best to return to the camp now that his anger had subsided. 

Mike got up from the log and began to walk back until he heard footsteps close by. He turned back to where the deer were. He saw nothing. He turned to the front and again saw nothing. The footsteps began to grow louder. He took out his pocket knife. He didn't know what it could be. A bear, a person with ill intentions, bigfoot? He turned to his right and saw a large man. The man resembled Jason from the stories. However, Mike wasn't going to take the chance to see if he was the real Jason or just a prankster.

He ran toward the direction of the camp. He kept on running as fast as he could until he tripped on a tree root. It sent him flying and he landed hard on his knee. He did his best to get up. He saw Jason approaching from behind. He limped away but Jason was gaining on him. He had no choice but to fight back. He readied his pocket knife. Once Jason was close enough, he quickly stabbed him in the stomach. However, he could not get the knife back out. Jason shoved him towards a tree. Mike hit the back of his head against the tree. He blacked out for a second. Jason grabbed a nearby rock. Mike's vision was still blurry. He couldn't make out what was happening. He shook his head to try to regain vision. He tried to get up. Jason threw the heavy rock at him. Mike's head was crushed between the rock and the tree. The rock slowly fell to the side and revealed Mike's bloody smashed head. Jason removed the bloody knife from his stomach and dropped it on the ground.  

Meanwhile back at the camp, Zach was overhearing a conversation between Aaron and Beth. 

"He's been out there for a while now," said Beth.

"If you're so concerned about him why don't you go get him?" Aaron argued.

"You know he never listens to me at least with you he will because you intimidate him plus I need to take a shower 'cause I stink," said Beth as she walked back to her cabin to get fresh clothes. Aaron sighed as he headed towards the woods. Zach hoped Aaron and Mike returned safely.