My dark hair that complimented my dusky skin well were left down, the curtain bangs highlighting my face. I chose a bold lip color than usual, almost as dark as the shade of my dress. Black eyeliner and mascara enhanced my brown eyes and silver earring adorned my ears, matching the trim of my dress.

I looked and felt pretty today.

And I was almost certain that Ammi was going to ask me to lighten the lipstick, but I was feeling rebellious.

I went out and found my mother in the kitchen, frying kebabs. A tea set sat on the tray rest in beside the stove, no doubt something my mother was going to make me serve.

Wasn't that the subtle way of introducing your daughter to her potential husband and in-laws?

"Moun band rakhna." She said, not looking at me as she lifted the kebab from the frying pan and patted the spatula down on it a few times, draining any excess oil.

*"Keep your mouth shut."

"Why? They should know exactly what they're getting themselves into." I countered, slightly offended by the way she thought.

"Eliza, no one wants girls who talk too much." The retort died in my throat as a ball formed instead, her words hitting me where it hurt most. She probably didn't even realize it.

No one wants girls who...

Great way of telling me how unwanted I am, mother.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and a stole a kebab from the plate, just to annoy her a little. "Eliza—"

"I love you, Ammi!" I called out over my shoulder and raced out into the lounge, finding Aaban sitting there with my phone in his hands.

I snatched it immediately. "Don't you dare touch my phone again."

"Appi, yaar, de do na!" He whined out, trying to reach for the phone once again. I held it out of reach, thankful that I was at least still taller than him.

*"Appi, yaar, please give it!"

"You're going to get married soon anyway then you won't have me to annoy you. Let me have your phone this once? Please?" He batted his lashes, trying to use the emotional blackmail and puppy eyes trick on me now. Good thing I had a heart of stone then.

"N. O. No." I plopped down on the couch next to him, letting out a heavy sigh. "It's unfortunate, really, how I'm just going to get married like this."

Aaban's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I expected us to be at a wedding, then my dupatta to get stuck in a cute guy's watch. The two of us falling in love at first sight as we both struggled to free my dupatta. Haye, so romantic!" I imagined the scenario playing out, and for some reason having Fawad Khan as the cute guy with the watch.

I didn't even like him that much.

My brother's face had twisted and he looked like he was close to throwing up. "That's so cheesy! Plus, you don't have the face for 'love at first sight'." I smacked his arm for that, and when the bell rang, I let him run out, knowing it would be one of his friends calling him out to play.

But I jumped up on my feet when I saw Aaban reenter, followed by a family of four. Thank God, Mama came out just then, followed by Baba who I'm sure had been chilling in his room the entire time because it was Saturday.

I recovered from my shock when Aaban nudged me and Mama motioned for me to greet an older woman— no doubt the mother— and a younger girl who was certainly the sister.