Chapter 1

*Reader's POV*
As I run through the small hallway of the house my group was staying in, the screaming got louder and louder. I finally made it to the source. The sight before me made me sick, Callie- someone who I ran into while she was running for her life- was on the floor, a walker hovering over her. I walked up carefully and stabbed the walker in the head, but it was too late, she was bitten in multiple places and was bleeding out slowly. I kneeled beside her, tears running down my face.

"(Y/N), t-take care of D-declan. " she coughed out before passing out. Hesitantly I put the blade up to her head. I cry as I push the blade in with a lot of force. I take out the knife and put it back in my holster. Declan was her son, he's only five, and is still missing teeth. He'll have to grow up in this excuse we call home. It's horrible, but I swear on my life, I'll do whatever it takes to keep him alive.

I was snapped back to reality when i heard the clearing of a throat behind me. I stood up and turned. Standing in the doorway with an upset look on his face was Trent. Trent was my best friend, he always has been and always will be, I hope. I walked toward him after hearing small thuds in the hall way, and stood in front the doorway so that nothing could be seen. Declan looked up at me.

"What's wrong, why are you crying?" He asked in his sweet innocent little voice. I shake my head.

"Nothing sweetie, come on we have to go." I say as I pick him and buried his face in my shoulder so he couldn't see the scene behind me, the scene we were leaving behind. Trent followed as we carefully walked out to the car. I sat in the back with Declan, and Trent drove. Trent was two years older than me, and had already learned to drive.

"(Y/N), where's mommy?" Declan wondered. I smooth down his soft brown hair and looked into his blue eyes.

"She's away right now." I tell him so he isn't upset. He nods and leans against me, clearly tired. Trent glanced at me through the review mirror. You could see the pity in his brown eyes. I sigh and look down at Declan, then back out the window. For now we would survive hoping this whole thing would eventually pass over. Now we would hope not to be killed by the already killed monster, or other people at that. Every now and then, we might even have some fun, because even if you're surviving you gotta live a little. So for now this is my family, for now this is my life.