Chapter Eight

A/N - sorry for the lack of Erling in this chapter but this chapter was needed for the story xx

I couldn't believe it. I couldn't even think about what had just happened. I'm injured. My worst nightmare had come true. My first game after I had trained day and night and pushed myself to my limits and I'm injured. I was heartbroken.

I was told to stay in place as a medic immediately checked for any head injuries or serious injuries. I was in so much shock that I could hear voices but I couldn't register what they were saying, it was like white noise.

With my head being hit and concussions being so common in rugby, I was taken off the pitch to be examined and to check over my injuries.

"High tackle," I heard the referee conclude as I was walked off the pitch. He punished the opposing player with a red card. A red card was given for fouls and dangerous play, high tackles were illegal in rugby as they can be extremely dangerous.

We were trained on how to tackle safely and land safely when being tackled, high tackles were so unpredictable and can cause bad injuries.

"No concussion," The medic stated as he finished up examining me. I blinked as he turned off the torch which was shining brightly in my eyes. I sat still, silent.

My left arm had been placed into a white sling, which was wrapped around my neck. I had two injuries to my arm. I had a fractured shoulder and a severely sprained wrist.

"How long until I can play?" I asked, I stared straight ahead at the white wall. My voice was quiet.

I prepared myself for the worst case scenario.

"Six weeks minimum," He replied. I felt tears begin to brim my eyes, I bit my lip in an attempt to hold them back. I wasn't a big crier until it came to something/someone I cared about, or unless I was angry.

The medic prescribed me numerous painkillers and gave me one last reminder about what I can and can't do over the next six weeks. I thanked him and opened the door to exit the medical room.

"Lottie, I'm so sorry," I heard Chloe say as soon as I opened the door. She rushed towards me to give me a hug, but stopped when she saw my arm.

I gave her a soft smile, avoiding eye contact.

"I want to watch the rest of the game," I said, signalling to the door which led out to the rugby pitch. She nodded in understanding, linking her arm with my right arm, showing me her support as we walked to the sidelines of the pitch.

My coach filled me in on how far the game was along, there were ten minutes left and the score was currently a draw. We had to win after what had happened.

I was stood right on the side of the pitch, watching the game as it was drawing to a close. I felt a hand rub my right shoulder, I turned to see Alex giving me a sympathetic smile. I gave her a tight smile and turned my attention back to the game.

I watched as Mia was tackled to the floor, releasing the ball.

The tackles continued until Emma swept the ball off the floor, sprinting to the try line. I felt adrenaline rush through my body as she was ahead of the opposing teams players.

She sprinted as hard as she could and around the back of the rugby post, slamming the ball against the grass behind the opposing team's try line.

Screams and cheers left our players lips, mine included. The opposing team members look defeated.

Emma lined up the ball to the rugby posts and took a few steps back. She jogged towards the ball and kicked it with force. The ball flew directly through the middle of the posts.