⇒ nine

Abby and I spent all night with Bridget and Cisco. He ended up needing to be tubed again. We had just decided to trailer him to the nearby equine hospital for potential surgery when he finally turned for the better. Abby and I ended up being at the clinic until about 3 in the morning, when Dr. Sharon sent all of us back to the dorms to sleep.

"We've done all we can do at this point," she said. "If he doesn't improve, I'll bring him to the hospital, but for now, you all need some sleep."

We were all too tired to protest, so back to the Acacia dorm we went.

The next morning, I woke up at around 9:30 and noticed Bridget was already gone. I cursed under my breath, remembering I had promised Noah that I would help him out at the Dressage show. After I shot him a quick apology text, I quickly changed into jeans, sneakers, and an MSRA T-shirt. I threw my hair back into a braid and covered it with my Land Rover Kentucky ballcap. I rushed over to the Dressage arenas, where three separate rings were running classes. There were tons of people around, so I quickly scanned faces until I found Noah holding a clipboard and speaking with a ring steward.

"Hey," I sighed after hustling over to him. "I am so sorr-."

"Kat, it's totally cool," he smiled softly at me. "I heard about the colic. I'm glad everyone's alright."

"Did Bridget talk to you?"

"Yes, and I think she wants to talk to you," he said, gesturing over to the spectator area with his clipboard. "I'll let you know if I need your help. I love you."

"I love you, too," I said, giving him a quick kiss before heading off to Bridget. As I approached her on the stands, I noticed she still looked very upset.

"Bridge, is everything alright?" I asked as I took a seat next to her. "Is Cisco okay?"

She sniffed and looked over at me. "Oh, yeah, he's fine. Thanks for your help last night."

"What's wrong then?" I asked as I put an arm around her shoulder.

"Olive," she mumbled. "She was upset that I missed her first ride earlier and didn't get any pictures. She didn't even let me get a word in about Cisco."

I frowned. "Where is she?"

"She's in one of the warm-up rings, she rides her second test in about 15 minutes."

"Alright," I said, standing and dragging Bridget up with me. "Let's go talk."

"Kat, we really don't have to do this," she protested as I led her down to the warm-ups. "Also, I don't want to miss Ethan's ride, he goes right after her."

"We'll make it quick," I promised. I scanned the dozens of horses in the two warm-up rings. Olive rides a big bay gelding named Dakota, who is impressive on his own. Unfortunately, it seems like all of the Dressage majors own big bay geldings that look alike. "There she is."

She was sitting atop Dakota next to the fence, speaking with her trainer. As soon as her trainer left, she saw Bridget and me, and a smile lit up her face.

"You guys made it!" she exclaimed. "This is perfect. Bridge, if you could get pictures, that would be perfect. Kat, would you be able to get a video of this test?"

"We need to talk," I said, cutting her off. "You hurt Bridget's feelings earlier."

"Oh, Bridget, I didn't mean to," she frowned. "It's just that you promised you'd be here, and I was upset that you weren't."

"Do you know where we were last night?" I asked.

"No..." she said, looking between the two of us. "Did something happen?"

"Cisco colicked," Bridget spoke up. "He almost had to be taken into the city to get surgery. He's doing okay now, but I was at the clinic for almost five hours last night. So I'm sorry that I slept in a little and missed your test."

"Oh, Bridget, I'm sorry, I had no idea," she gasped, putting a hand over her mouth. "But that explains why Dr. Sharon called last night. She kept waking me up."

"Dude," Bridget deadpanned. "My horse was dying, and you couldn't be bothered to answer a phone call from the vet? Your boss?"

"I'm sorry, Bridget, but you know how important this show is to me," she shook her head. "Anyways, I've got to get to the gate. But we'll catch up over lunch, okay?"

As Olive left, Bridget and I just looked over at each other and sighed. "She's so unaware, and it's not even her fault," Bridget shook her head. "Come on, let's get those pictures and videos for her."

"Uh, not before you wish me good luck," we heard from behind us. We spun around and were met with Ethan riding his gorgeous chestnut mare, Cinnamon. Bridget erupted into a smile. As she talked to him, I headed back to the spectator zone to give them some privacy. As Olive started down the centerline, Bridge sat down next to me. We watched as she made her way through the Fourth Level test. In my opinion, it was a beautiful test, but from an eventer's point of view, that doesn't mean much - but her pirouettes remained collected, and her half passes straight. As she approached the end of the test, she had to do 4-tempi changes. Two of the three changes were late behind.

"Those damn changes!" Bridget and I said simultaneously. Obviously, Olive had been spreading the word about how much she struggled with those changes.

"You know," I said, ending the recording after Olive saluted. "she's not a bad person. She just has no idea that her actions affect those around her."

"I agree," Bridget said as she snapped some more photos with her camera. "She's so charismatic, but I genuinely think she has no idea."

After Olive left the ring, we headed to one of the other rings where the Third Level tests were currently running. We watched two riders get through the test before Ethan trotted his way in. Bridget explained that he had competed up through Prix St. Georges and had his USDF Silver Medal, but Cinnamon was on the greener side, so they were focusing on Third Level for now. Though by the looks of it, Cinnamon was ready to move up to Fourth Level. Ethan was such a precise rider, he and Cinnamon seemingly effortlessly floated through the test. The geometry was precise, and transitions occurred on a dime. Their changes were instant and flawless. They made it look so easy, though Dressage is everything but that. 

Ethan knew how good the test was, too, as after his final salute, he dropped the reins and leaned forward, giving Cinnamon a huge hug. As he left the ring, Noah gave him a high five, and the smile on Ethan's face only grew larger.

-

"I think that one's the best," Noah said, reaching over the table to point at a photo on Ethan's phone. Bridget and I both agreed, as did Ethan.

Ethan had crushed it at the Dressage show. Not only did he win the Third Level division, but he ended the day as the high percentage rider, bringing in an impressive 78%. As a reward, Mason allowed him to choose a few friends to take out to dinner in town, and he had chosen Bridget, Noah, and me.

"Alright, I think these are the best ones," he announced. "Now for a caption."

Bridget helped him decide on the best Instagram caption to encapsulate a perfect day for Cinnamon, Ethan, and honestly, the rest of us too. It was a wonderful feeling knowing that Bridget and I were going to be okay. Ethan's coaches agreed that it was time for him and Cinnamon to start making the move up to Fourth Level competition. Noah's show went off without a hitch, and his internship manager couldn't be happier with him. Olive was okay, too. After we sat down and really spoke with her, she admitted to overstepping. She thanked Bridget and me for being great friends to her.

Today was a good day.

This is not the end! This ending sounds very epilogue-y, but I promise it is not lol