Chapter 39: The Whole Enchilada

Start from the beginning

"Let's do this shit," John B said.

"As long as we get the gold I don't care where we go," Evelyn admitted.

John B pulled up outside of the fence at the airstrip. They all got out of the van, running up to the fence.

"What's the plan?" Kiara asked, "Broad strokes."

"I don't really think we got that far," Evelyn said.

Pope looked through the binoculars at the plane that was on the landing strip.

"They're loading up the gold," Pope said as John B took the binoculars from him so that he could see.

A car drove up, beeping it's horn, "That's Ward."

John B lowered the binoculars with a hurt look on his face.

"What?" Kiara asked.

"It's Sarah," John B whispered.

"She's with him?" Pope asked.

"Guy come on. There is no way she's going with him willingly," Evelyn said.

"Why else would she be here?" JJ asked.

"Wait a minute," John B said looking back through the binoculars, "He's hurting her."

"What?" Kiara asked.

"What?" JJ repeated.

"They're fighting," John B said handing the binoculars to Kiara and running toward the van, "Holy shit."

"Wait, so she---What? I had no--"

"Hey! What are you doing?" Pope asked as John B got into the van.

"John B!" Kiara said.

"Where are you going?" Evelyn asked.

"Hey! Hey!" the group yelled running toward the van.

"Hold on!" JJ yelled.

"Dude, stop!" Kiara yelled as John B started driving the van toward the fence.

"Don't be a hero, dude!" JJ yelled.

"John B!" Evelyn yelled.

Evelyn turned away as the van smashed into the fence, breaking through it.

"What are you doing?" JJ yelled running across the fence.

"John B!" Kiara yelled.

"Come back!" Evelyn yelled.

Evelyn watched in horror as John B drove the van next to the plane.

"What is he doing," she whispered.

John B pulled ahead of the plane, sliding to stop right in it's path. Evelyn turned to put her head in JJ's chest afraid to watch. The boy pulled her into him with his arm.

Sirens caught both of their attention. Evelyn looked up to see the plane had stopped just before the van.

"Guys, I can't get arrested," Pope said.

"I'm on probation," JJ said.

"Look, we're no good if we're all in jail," Kiara said.

"We need to go," Evelyn said.

JJ picked up the gun and his hat as the group ran off not wanting to get caught by the cops. Evelyn hoped that whatever happened that John B would be safe.

--

A plane flying overhead caught the four teens attention.

"There goes the gold," Pope said.

"Shit," JJ yelled kicking a plastic chair.

"Fuck!" Pope yelled as her threw something across the room.

"Pope!" Kiara said.

"God damnit!" Pope yelled picking up a bat as he started to smash different things around him.

Evelyn jumped as he continued to break things with the bat, curses flying out of his mouth. She sent a worried look at Kiara who was already looking at her.

"Pope!" Evelyn yelled as the boy picked up a trash can and threw it across the room.

Pope sat down on a whicker bench trying to catch his breath.

"Pope," Kiara said softly walking toward the boy.

"Yeah dude," JJ said walking over to him, "I was wondering when this was gonna happen."

JJ held out his juul offering it to Pope, "Here ya go, chief. A little weed never hurt no one."

"JJ," Evelyn said knowing Pope didn't smoke.

"Relax, E," JJ said.

"You know he doesn't smoke," Kiara said as Pope reached up and grabbed the juul from JJ.

"Well, maybe not until today," JJ said taking a seat next to him and placing his hat back on his head.

"Pope you don't have to do that," Evelyn said.

"What is that gonna help?" Kiara asked.

"I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview," Pope said, "Ever--It's gone. It's not gonna happen."

"You did that for us?" Kiara chocked out.

"No, not for us," Pope said standing up, "For nothing."

"I'm here for you, Pope," JJ said grabbing ahold of the boy, "Welcome to my world, okay?"

"JJ," Evelyn said.

"What, E? He's right," JJ said, "It doesn't matter anymore."

Pope put the juul up to his lips taking in a deep breath.

"You don't have to do that," Kiara said.

"What do you care?" Pope asked looking at her.

Pope's eye grew wide making the group turn around. John B was standing in front of them.

"Dude!" JJ yelled running toward him, "Dude, you good?"

"Oh, my God! John B!" Kiara said at the same time as everyone ran toward him.

"Is this yours?" JJ asked referring to the blood all over John B's hand.

"Who's blood is that?' Evelyn asked wide eyed.

"Hey, are you okay, man?" JJ questioned.

John B just stared at the ground, not looking at any of his friends or speaking.

"John B are you okay?" Kiara asked.

Sirens coming make the group hide behind something that was in the shop they were in.