Chapter 38: We've Hit Rock Bottom

Start from the beginning

John B pushed JJ to the side throwing him down on top of the bed.

"John B!" Evelyn exclaimed, "What are you doing?"

John B stormed toward the door being grabbed by Pope, "What are you JJ now?"

John B threw Pope off of him against a table before continuing out of the door.

"Are you okay?" Kiara asked Pope before going after John B, "John B, what the hell are you doing?"

Evelyn followed the girl outside to see John B on JJ's bike starting it up.

"John B what the hell!" Evelyn yelled.

"Ward knows about the gold," John B yelled back, "He killed my dad."

Evelyn stopped, shocked at the news that John B just told them. John B turned driving off on the bike.

"John B!" Kiara yelled as the group ran after him.

"Shit," JJ said as he got farther away from the group.

"What the hell is happening?" Evelyn asked looking around at everyone.

"I think John B has officially gone off the deep end," Pope said.

"Well of course he has, did you hear what he said," JJ asked.

"Ward killed Big John?" Kiara said.

"Whatever happened John B is pissed and he has the gun. We need to stop him before he does something stupid," Evelyn said.

--

It was now dark and the group of four were on the HMS Pogue by the Cameron's dock. They had looked all over for John B that day and had yet to find him anywhere.

"What now?" JJ asked, "We just go up to the front door and ask, Hey have you seen John B?"

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible," Kiara said, "We can play dumb."

"Play dumb?" JJ questioned.

"It's pretty late," Pope said.

"Look, I've never seen John B like that," Kiara said.

"We should honestly be going to the cops," Evelyn said.

"The cop--Yeah and say what, E?" JJ asked, "We're worried about our friend because he's on a rampage because Ward Cameron killed Big John? They're not gonna believe us!"

"Hey," Pope said getting everyones attention, "I see Ward."

"Let me see," Kiara said holding out her hands so that Pope would giver her the binoculars.

"Doesn't look dead to me. Let's ago home," Pope said.

"What?" Kiara asked looking at Pope.

"Uh...okay. Obviously, Mr. Cameron is fine, and even if John B was here, he isn't now, okay?" Pope said, "Plus I have the biggest most important moment of my life in six hours."

Evelyn sighed. She knew how much the interview meant to Pope. He absolutely could not miss it.

"Yeah, well, our friend is in trouble," Kiara said.

"I'm in trouble," Pope said, "Guys I haven't been home in three days. My dad's probably put all my shit on the street by now."

"Maybe Pope is right," Evelyn said, "We've been looking for John B all day."

"Okay, so that's it?" Kiara asked, "In a time of need you're just gonna bail? You want just walk away?"

"Okay, yo, guys, can we not do this right now?" JJ asked.

"I have a scholarship interview in the morning," Pope said, "I can't--"

"Well what about John B?" Kiara yelled.

"Why is it always about John B?" Pope questioned.

"It's not always about John B," Kiara defended, "You're so stupid. It would be any of you in this situation."

"Oh, bullshit!" Pope said.

"This is about friendship!" Kiara yelled.

"Bring it down," JJ said.

"This is about Pogues for life," Kiara said.

"Then we should worry about our other fellow Pogue who's future is riding on his scholarship interview," Evelyn argued.

"I can't believe you're on his side!" Kiara yelled.

Evelyn rolled her eyes, not understanding why Kiara was being so adamant about this.

"What about forensic pathology, huh?" Pope questioned.

"Forensic Pathology?" Kiara questioned.

"It's my life. Everything I've worked for," Pope yelled.

"That's your priority?" Kiara asked getting in his face.

"Stop the moral high ground bullshit," Pope said.

"Pope, come on," JJ said.

"Excuse me?" Kiara asked.

"No, no. She has no room to talk," Pope said, "Where were you when Big John went missing?"

"Pope. You're going too far," Evelyn said defending Kiara.

"No. Neither of you were there. Not for John B, not for any of us," Pope said turning to look at Kiara, "Remember your Kook year?"

"Dude," JJ said.

"Yeah, you forgot about us, both of you," Pope said.

"I'm not really sure why you're being such an asshole right now when I was the one sticking up for you," Evelyn questioned.

"Now you feel guilty," Pope said to Kiara, ignoring Evelyn.

"Give me a break!" Kiara said shoving Pope.

"Hey!" JJ yelled.

"Kiara," Evelyn said trying to get in the middle of them.

"Come on," Pope said.

"You need a break?" Kiara asked still shoving Pope.

"Hey! Yo, yo, yo," JJ said getting in between the three, "Cut it out, all right? If I'm the one mediating, we've hit rock bottom."

Evelyn crossed her arms looking out into the water.

"Bow, now," JJ said to Pope, "Go!"

Kiara walked toward the back of the boat and Evelyn stayed standing next to JJ.

"Pope, I'll drop you off," JJ said starting the boat.