Preface

It Happened New Years Eve

December 31st, 2005

"Just be cool, and everything will be fine," Embry said, straitening his collar beneath the dressy holiday sweater he was wearing.

He and Jacob were approaching the decorated house, decked out with more than enough Christmas lights.

"It better be. I don't want to feel like I don't belong," Jacob said, battling his nerves over this being his first legit high school party.

"We're invited."

"He invited you."

"And he told me to bring some friends," Embry claimed.

Not long into the party, Embry left Jacob by himself while he went off to mingle. It was obvious he felt more welcomed than Jacob.

Two girls were talking nearby.

"I know he's always listening with one big, nosy ear for any news about her, and that's not fair. I'm his so-called girlfriend, and he doesn't seem to care how that makes me feel."

"Are you sure he's not just worried? I am."

"Look, I feel bad for her, too, but that doesn't mean I want my boyfriend always staring at her."

"Then maybe it's time to call him out, because it's not her fault."

Jacob loitered in the corner unintentionally eavesdropping on the two unsuspecting girls. He was wishing he hadn't let Embry talk him into crashing the New Year's Eve party where he knew nobody aside from his inconsiderate friend, especially after Quil bailed out in the last minute.

The kids were all older than him and Embry, but Embry was friends with the guy who was putting on the party while his parents were out of town. Their moms worked together. Embry looked right at home after an alcoholic drink or two, but Jacob didn't try any of those beverages because he was driving.

He roamed into the kitchen for a bottle of water. He was eying the snacks when the petite girl with a dickhead boyfriend, who he'd been listening to, came up behind him to refill her solo cup with the mixed punch setting on the kitchen island.

"Look where you're standing," said the other girl, pointing upwards.

Both Jacob and the short girl beside him looked up to see the mistletoe dangling from the ceiling. She rolled her eyes. "I'm sure mistletoe doesn't count after Christmas."

"Who said?" The host asked, entering the kitchen with Embry.

"Me thinks it does," said the cute dark-haired girl with glasses, wiggling her eyebrows and grinning at her friend.

"She's right, and I hung it there myself just for my New Year's Eve party."

"Kiss... kiss... kiss... kiss," a chorus of buzzed teenagers sang out.

Jacob felt himself warm and wanted to run his fingers under the collar of his button-up dress shirt but didn't dare move a muscle in front of the jeering crowd. He needed to play it cool or face a barrage of teasing from Embry, who was cheering along with amusement on his face, and whoever else Embry told.

Jacob was going to tackle him and roll his face in the dirt when they made it back to La Push, for contributing in making him feel like the butt of a joke.

Dropping his eyes to the short girl, he obeyed as she curled an index finger, giving him the "come here" sign. He bent, surprised at how forceful she was when she cupped the back of his head and pulled his face toward her, closing her blue eyes. He followed suit. Their lips connected, and Jacob felt a slight rise in his jeans as his tongue danced with hers. He tasted the sweetness of her mouth, tinged with the fruity beverage and hint of alcohol for one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand, four-one thousand, five-one thousand, six-one thousand, seven-one thousand, eight-one thousand... Eight full seconds.