11

Y/n Pov:

I get woken up by a phone ringing, noticing it's Jenna's I lightly shake her to wake her up. I jump as Jenna jumps up from her sleep taking a loud breath looking around scared until her eyes land on mine. "Jenna it's just me." I say startled. "Fuck." she mumbles out grabbing her head in her hand. "Someone's calling you butthead." I say sitting up with her. "It's my mom." she tells me before picking up. "Hey mom." I study her face while she keeps talking on the phone. I awkwardly look around the room not knowing what to do while she's talking on the phone.

"Can I bring a close friend?" She asks, getting my attention. I look at her confused, as she keeps glancing at me while biting her lip. "Alright we will be there around 4." was the last thing she said before hanging up. I look at her signalling for her to explain what it was about. " My mom has a free day which happens rarely so she invited me over for dinner." I nod my head at that. "And you're coming with me." she finishes. "I'm coming with you?" I ask shocked making sure she's not fucking around. "Yeah you're coming with, I thought since your dad lives across the state you could use some family vibes." She says smiling softly. "Family vibes?" I ask jokingly a little smile growing on my face. "Yeah family vibes, but be prepared my family is kinda big." She says getting out of bed but immediately wincing grabbing her stomach. I rush over to her side holding her sitting her up on the bed. "You okay?" I ask kneeling in front of her. "Yea I'm I'm just on my period it's fine." she replies stuttering.

I watch her leave to the bathroom but stopping at the door. "Y/n can you come with me and stay by the door?" She asks avoiding eye contact. I move to her "Jenna did something happen yesterday that I can't remember?" I ask gently making sure it's okay to talk about it. "You know you can talk to me I told you I'll do anything to protect you." I say. She hides her face as sniffling sounds come from her. A concerned look grows on my face trying to figure out what she has. I wrap my arms around her, causing her to flinch but hug me back right after. I rock us back and forth in a comfortable manner until her sniffles calmed down. "It's nothing I'm just stressed with everything, the casting and yesterday, it just felt like it's too much at once and with my period my emotions are like a roller coaster." She says avoiding my gaze.

I know she's not telling me the whole truth but I let it slide not wanting to pressure her more than she already is. I remove her from my arms and follow her to the bathroom leaning against the doorframe while she does what ever she has to do. She gives me a tight lipped smile when she sees that I actually waited for her. "Alright I'm gonna get ready in my house when should we meet?" I ask her. She starts fumbling with her hands at that, a silence filling between us. "Actually uhh can you wait for me until I'm ready and then we go to your house so you can get ready?" She asks blinking the tears that formed in her eyes while talking away. I try to figure out what's going on her mind. "Why?" I ask genuinely wanting to know the real answer.

"I don't wanna hurt myself again, and you said you'll do everything to protect me." she answers my question above a whisper. Again I feel like there's more to it but shrug it off once more. And answer with a short okay i'll be here and walk to the kitchen grabbing a apple biting into it. I look out the window trying to figure out what could've happened. Yeah I've seen her weirded out or distant but the sight of her yesterday was something strongly different, like it was more serious, maybe I should bring up therapy, since she can't tell me to full truth maybe she could say it to a trusted person in a safe place and not get too attached to me even more than she already has been today.

"I'm ready." I hear from behind me making me turn around almost dropping my apple. "Y-y-you look pretty Jenna." I stutter out earning a small chuckle from her, admiring her hair falling off her shoulder her black pants followed by a baggy grey jacket complimenting her skin colour just the right way. "Alright stop the staring let's go to your house." She says making me come back to my senses.

I leave my wavy hair as it is, and decide on wearing a simple black polo shirt and baggy grey pants.

"Alright lets go:" I say rushing to the door since we are running late.

-----

Skip car drive...

I huff out anxiously as Jenna rings the doorbell, it feels like I'm her girlfriend meeting her parents. Jenna hooks her arm around mine trying to calm me down making me look at her smiling. "Ajjjjjj mijaaa come here!" We both stop staring at each other as Jenna leaves my side embracing her mom in a hug. "I missed you so much my love" her mother exclaims into her shoulder. That makes me smile at the sight in front of me so loving I think to myself. " And you must be Y/n." She exclaims looking at me. I nod at that shaking her hand. "Yes thank you for letting me stay over for dinner Mrs.Ortega." I say shining a bright smile. "Oh please call me Natalie." Making room for me to walk inside. We greet the rest of the family me introducing myself to everybody individually. I look over to Jenna seeing a bright smile on her face making me smile at that myself. I feel another pair of eyes look at me, seeing its Jenna's dad Edward. His death stare made me clear my throat and scratching the back of my neck awkwardly looking down at the floor.
——

We were all gathered on the dinner table passing around all the delicious meals Natalie made for us. I take a bite of the food making me moan in pleasure. Making everybody around me laugh "This is so good Natalie bless your hands." I exclaim taking another bite. We make small talk here and there enjoying our food. The food actually reminds me of my mom's cooking making me shift in my seat uncomfortably. Jenna sensing that, puts her hand on my thigh in a comforting way. We share a smile at each other before Jenna continues to talk with her sister Aaliyah about something. I feel a pair of eyes staring at me again my head turning to that direction seeing the same pair of eyes from before with that suspicious stare staring at me. I glance at Jenna's dad before I could say something the question Aaliyah asks Jenna catches my attention.

"What happened to your hand Jenna?" At that Jenna chokes on her drink. I pat her back with my hand until her coughing calmed down, earning awkward glances our way. " Uh I- I-" "She accidentally cut her hand cutting a carrot." I cut her off chuckling awkwardly "You know how carrots can be hard to cut sometimes right? It's like a boxing match against the knife and carrot." I finish. Making the whole table laugh, me and Jenna sharing a cringy look and laughing awkwardly along with them. Jenna mouths a thank you at me, making me hold her hand what was still on my thigh in response.

We finished up eating. I stayed behind with Jenna, Aaliyah and Natalie to clear up the table and do the dishes. I see Edward coming in the kitchen, I try to avoid eye contact knowing I'm making it more awkward than it already was. "Y/n why don't I give you a tour of the house." I hear him say making me look at him then at Jenna seeing her and Aaliyah sharing a smirk at each other. "Uh yeah sure if that's okay Natalie." I ask Jenna's mom. "Oh don't worry about the dishes darling after all you are a guest here." She reassures me.

I nod at that and nervously follow behind Jenna's dad.

--------

1433 Words.