55| The truth ain't pretty

Alyssa
_______________

Marnie and the others pretend to scan the menu like they haven't got it memorized. I tense a little, anticipating the moment they say or do something to embarrass me in front of Max, but I refuse to let them get to me. I've spent too long caring about what other people think - I'm not going to do it anymore.

"You want me to get rid of them?" Max asks.

I think back to the last time he came here and sigh. The last thing I need is for an already terrible trial shift to end in a fistfight. "It's fine," I say, squeezing his hand, "I've got this."

As soon as the waitress takes their orders, Marnie looks over and smirks. I force a smile back, proving I'm not the least bit fazed, even though part of me is terrified.

Beside her, Justin looks irritable as she hooks an arm around him. He'd never admit it, especially not in a room full of people, but he's using Marnie to get back at me, and if this were a few months ago, if this were pre-Max and pre-realizing just how shallow I was, I'm ashamed to say it would have worked.

"Hey," I say, and Marnie's mouth drops as though she can't believe I'm not cowering in embarrassment. One point to Alyssa, zero to Marnie.

"Hey," she says, her voice sickly sweet, "surprised to see you here, and behind the counter no less, but-" she pauses to flash that innocent smile, "-you look adorable in that hairnet."

My smile falters. It's the kind of retort that makes people think she's so damn sweet when really it's the opposite. What's worse is she learned it from me. Refusing to let her win, I lean against the counter like I've all the time in the world. "You're welcome to borrow it - I know how much you like my hand-me-downs."

She doesn't miss my glance at Justin. Her mouth twitches, and she turns in her seat until she's facing me directly, a murderous look in her eyes. If there's one thing Marnie hates, it's being second best.

I glance at Max, remembering he's not used to seeing us in action. His eyes have darkened, and the muscle in his neck contracts, his telltale sign he's agitated. I bite my lip, wishing for a moment I could know what he's thinking, but from the looks of things, nothing good.

"So, what's the deal?" Marnie asks. "You're working at the milkshake bar now?"

I keep my voice light as I say, "A part-time job looks good on a resume."

It's a poor excuse, one I'm certain Marnie sees through, but there isn't time to say anything. The waitress walks over to deliver their milkshakes, which momentarily distracts her. I wipe down the counter as Kino works on the milkshake orders, needing something to do with my hands.

In the brief respite, Max puts his milkshake aside and stares at me. "Your shift nearly over?"

I flash him a sympathetic look. It must feel strange to be a part of this world, but it means more than anything that he stayed.  "Thirty minutes left. I mean it, Max - you don't need to wait for me."

He raises an eyebrow incredulously. "You think I'd leave you with them?"

"No," I say, "I don't," and I lean across the counter to kiss him.

"So, Max," Marnie says, and those cat-like eyes flit to him.

Max turns slightly, just enough to look over his shoulder and give her a cutting look. "Yeah?"

Marnie taps the space beside her. "Why don't you come and sit with us? Since you guys are getting so serious, we'd love to know more about you, and I'm sure you'd love to hear more about Liss, too."