Chapter 35: Promises Are Meant To Be Broken

Start from the beginning

"So that's what we're doing now?" Kiara asked, "We're robbing drug dealers?"

"This Barry guy's gonna find out and he's gonna come after us," Sarah said.

"Yes, he will. This is not the time to start wilin' out, Pope said.

"How'd you guys like havin' a gun pulled on you?" JJ asked, "How'd you like it when he put that gun right up to Evelyn's head?"

"Relax," John B said getting in JJ's face.

"He has it right there on your bro," JJ said pointing in John B's face.

"Look, we've gotta go get the gold, okay?" John B said grabbing the bag from JJ's hand, "Give me that shit, we're putting it back."

JJ shoved John B up against the side of the van.

"JJ, stop," Evelyn said trying to grab his arm.

"No, let him," John B said, "You feel like a tough guy? Huh? What are you gonna do when he comes for us?"

"Punch him in the throat," JJ said.

"Yeah, good fuckin' idea, JJ" John B said.

"I'm not putting it back," JJ said grabbing the bag back from John B.

JJ got in the back of the van as everyone just looked at him. Evelyn sighed running her hands over her face.

"You guys getting in or what?" JJ asked as Evelyn looked over at John B who was looking back at her.

JJ got back out of the van looking at all of his friends, "What?"

"We're sick of your shit," John B said.

"Oh? My shit?" JJ asked.

"Yeah. Yeah. Your shit," John B said.

"Yes," Kiara agreed, "Your pulling guns on people shit."

"You acting like a freakin' maniac," Pope said.

"Okay, Pope," JJ yelled, "I took the fall for you, man! You know how much money I owe because of you?"

"I'm gonna pay you back, and I didn't ask you to do that!" Pope exclaimed.

"I just did! Pay it back" JJ said taking a step closer to him, "Right here, right now, by myself."

"JJ," Evelyn said, "You know this isn't the right way."

"You know what," JJ said walking back toward the van, "That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Go off by myself."

"JJ," Evelyn said walking toward the boy.

"Hey, wait," John B said grabbing her arm.

"No," Evelyn said ripping her arm away from John B, "We can't just let him go off by himself."

"He's just being JJ," John B said.

"Either way I'm not going to just let him leave like this," Evelyn said, "And I can't believe you guys are either."

Evelyn sent a disappointed look to her friends before turning around and walking toward JJ.

"Evelyn!" Kiara yelled after her friend.

Ignoring her friends, Evelyn kept walking the direction JJ left.

"JJ!" Evelyn yelled as she caught up to the boy on the road.

"Leave me alone," JJ said.

"JJ come on," Evelyn said.

"I said leave me alone," JJ said.

"No. I wont leave you alone," Evelyn said continuing to follow him, "What you're doing is a big mistake and you know it."

"What I'm doing is fixing a mistake that already happened," JJ said.

"By stealing 25k from a drug dealer?" Evelyn questioned, "Don't you think the cops are going to be just a little bit suspicious about where you got the money."

"It doesn't matter as long as they accept it to pay off the restitution," JJ said

"And they what JJ? What happen's when Barry comes home and finds out that there is 25k missing from his house" Evelyn questioned, "It's not only you he's going to come after JJ, its everyone else too."

"Well good thing you have mommy and daddy to protect you then," JJ said.

"Don't you even go there," Evelyn said.

"What? It's true," JJ said, "Because at the end of the day you get to go home to your rich mommy and daddy and you don't have to worry about things like paying off a restitution."

"JJ this is not how you want to pay off your restitution, trust me," Evelyn said.

"Well it's too late now," JJ said, "I'm not taking the money back."

"What happened to you promising me that you were gonna stop doing crazy stuff?" Evelyn asked.

"Yeah well promises are sometimes meant to be broken," JJ said.

"I guess that means that I don't have to keep my promise about trying to understand then," Evelyn said as she stopped walking.

"Guess not," JJ said continuing to walk.

"JJ, please," she said.

"You don't get it!" JJ yelled turning to face the girl, "Everything has always been easy for you. Anything you have ever wanted it just there for you, no questions asked. Well some of us have never had that privilege, we've had to work for what we have. Even if that means getting our hands dirty."

"But you don't have to do this. You have a choice," Evelyn said.

JJ laughed looking the girl in the eyes, "And that's what will always keep you from being one hundred percent Pogue. The fact that you think I've ever had a choice in anything I did."

Evelyn looked into JJ's eyes, all she saw was hurt looking back at her. She didn't know what to say to him when he turned to walk away. She just let him walk down the road.

When he was out of sight she let the tears fall. Hearing JJ say she'd never be one hundred percent Pogue didn't hurt as bad as the look he was giving her. It was a mix of hurt and disappointment, like he was expect her out of anyone to understand why he was doing what he was doing. But truthfully, she felt like she was the least understanding. But she was willing to stick by his side anyway, she had been the only one to go after him after all.

Evelyn sighed pulling out her phone and pulling up the only other persons contact that she was friends with that wasn't in the group and dialing it. No way was she staying out here on this road by herself, Barry could drive up on her at any time.

Last chapter I'm posting for the night, hopefully I can get the rest of the book out this weekend!
~A