Chapter 9: First Assignment part 2

(Asta's p.o.v.)

  Liebe and I had packed up for our journey to Heart Kingdom's capital, and were waiting at the city gate for Leafa and Alice. While we were waiting, the two of us engaged in some small talk. "It hasn't even been a day yet, and you and Alice are already becoming the best of friends, huh?" I said to Liebe. He replied, "She's interesting for a human, there's actually something about her eyes that remind me of Licita." I was curious about this and asked, "They do?" "Yeah, I can't explain it, but I saw those eyes in Licita while she was still alive." We didn't get to continue as the girls had just arrived with their bags. "Hope we didn't keep you waiting?" Leafa said. I replied, "We got here ten minutes ago, so we weren't bored." "Hey Alice, was Leafa busy picking out good clothes for the trip? Preferably, ones that'll help her get Asta's attention?" Liebe asked slyly, which made Leafa blush and Alice said mischievously, "Now that you mention it, she was picking out her best clothes as well as her best Mado Tools. I would assume that plans on seducing him on this trip." Now this got me flustered, and Leafa frantically replied, "No, I'm not!" 'I have to admit her reactions are just adora- WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING?!!!' I thought. Leafa quickly diffused the situation by saying, "Can we please just get going already?!" Liebe answered, "Yeah, she's right. We need to get going." The rest of us nodded and we left the city and began our journey to Heart Kingdom.

  Timeskip - 1 month later

   It took us a month, but we had finally arrived at the outskirts of the capital. Along the way, Alice and Liebe continuously teased me and Leafa for getting along so well, which irritated the two of us to no end. We were relieved when we reached our destination, because that meant it was time to get down to business and the future couple from hell would leave us alone for a time.

  (Liebe's p.o.v.)

   On the way to Heart Kingdom's capital, Alice and I had the time of our lives messing with Asta and Liebe. It never got old, teasing them like that, which was why me and Alice had so much fun. While we were traveling to Heart Kingdom's capital, I started to understand why Alice reminded me so much of Licita. It's because their personalities are so alike, while Licita was always the straightforward, happy-go-lucky type with the playfulness of a child, Alice can be appear to be dignified and mature when she takes things seriously, and can be as curious and mischievous as someone half her age when relaxed. The one thing they have in common, is that they both can be so immature when they are happy. This was enough to make me let out a hearty laugh for the first time in many years, it honestly made me feel like Licita had been reincarnated.

  Speaking of, I had surprisingly became quite attached to Alice. Perhaps it was because Alice was so much like my foster mother, that she quickly became the first human girl, other than Licita, I don't hate. With this in mind, I hoped that we would continue being close friends.

  That aside, we made our way to a mansion owned by a deceased lineage of Makai Knights to use as our base camp while we're in the capital. The Makai Order stations one Makai Knight at different cities in every country on every continent to extend it's reach. The reason why we were sent to the capital of Heart Kingdom is because the Makai Knight family in the city no longer exists, and is left unprotected until a suitable Knight is chosen to take over safeguarding this territory. This means that until a new guardian is selected, the Watch Dogs will have to dispatch Knights and Priests directly from the city to handle the Horrors that appear at long intervals of time. On that subject, Horrors have rarely appeared in Heart Kingdom in recent years, as they can't enter the Human World as freely here as the other nations.

  As for the Makai Priests, there is no limit to how many of them are allowed to assist the Knights. As such, any number of Priests can inhabit the area the local Makai Knight lives. For example, if Asta gets stationed in the Heart Kingdom's capital, Leafa, and her friends would be free to live in the city as well.