Chapter 7: Pasts Revealed

(Asta's p.o.v.)

   The school day had end and I was at courtyard waiting on Leafa while Liebe went back to the dorms, but not before teasing me about meeting up with her. She and I had agreed to meet after school to discuss the questions she asked during our sparring match earlier. We had already received our Hagane armor from the workshop, and were looking forward to learning how to use it the following day. After a few minutes of waiting, Leafa arrived, greeting me.

  "Hey, Leafa. How are your wounds?" I asked. She replied, "Just a bunch of scratches, nothing a simple recovery spell can't fix. Your wounds weren't any more serious than mine, so you didn't need any medical attention." I smiled and nodded. She got down to business by saying, "So, about what I asked earlier." I took a breath and explained my life story, leading up to the point where Iska invited me to join the Makai Order. She had a look of shock and sympathy on her face and said, "I see, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Guess you and I aren't all that different." I was confused by what she said and I asked, "What do you mean, Leafa?" She answered, "We're both orphans." I was shocked to hear this, she was an orphan like me. She then began to tell her story.

  (Leafa's p.o.v.)

  I was surprised when he told his story, how he wanted to make his country a much more prosperous nation, one free of discrimination, only to have his ambitions crushed by the aristocrats of Clover Kingdom. He was just an orphan who never knew his parents, he was discriminated against for something completely out of his control. After he made it as a Magic Knight, gained the respect of many people, and played a part in saving the kingdom, he was framed as the mastermind behind the incident and put to trial by the aristocrats, which led to him volunteering to be exiled. Yet, in spite of it all, he still wants to protect the innocent. Most would give up on humanity after experiencing such cruelty, but he didn't. I honestly found that very admirable and, for some reason, it caused my heart to skip a beat just like in combat class.

  After hearing his story, I felt like it was only fair that I tell him mine.

  Flashback -7 years ago

  Me and my brother, Kazuto were living in a hidden elven village in a very remote corner of Diamond Kingdom. Our parents were from a long line of Makai Priests, who were descended from the original creators of the Weapons used by the Makai Order. The   Order wasn't formed solely by humans, it was a group of humans, elves, and dwarves who had their loved ones at the hands of Horrors. The three races joined hands and created an organization whose sole purpose is to defend our world from the forces of darkness.

  Anyway, my brother and I were living pleasant life with our parents. Makai Priests have their various specialties, our parents were exceptionally known for their martial prowess and medical knowledge, and they passed those down to us. Kazuto was more suited for swordsmanship, and I was skilled in both swordsmanship and medicine. When he got hurt, I was always the one to patch him up. We both had our dreams, my brother's was to become a Makai Knight to defend his family. Me, I wanted to protect others who couldn't defend themselves, whether from Horrors or from plagues and curses caused by Horrors. I worked hard hone my skills in both combat and medical treatment.

Then one day, my brother came up to me and said, "Hey Leafa, Mom and Dad told us we can take a day off from training and hang out with our friends, come on." I answered, "No, I'm good. There's a new medicine I wanted to learn to make today, go on without me." What he said next convinced me, "Come on, sis. You can't always coup yourself up in your workshop all day, and it's not everyday we get to have some fun with our friends. Life is short, you gotta enjoy while you can." He had a point, so I decided to go with him. The rest of the day we spent having fun with our friends deep in the forest surrounding the village. Unfortunately, when the sun was about to set, a storm had moved in, forcing us to take shelter in a nearby cave until it passed.