Chapter 3: Admission and New Partner

(Asta's p.o.v.)

  It's been 3 weeks since my encounter with the Makai Knight, Iska, and he offered me to join the Makai Order so I could continue to protect innocent people from those monsters I fought before, which he called Horrors. He was taking me back to the hidden city that serves as the Order's headquarters, so that I may enroll in the academy that trains the next generation of Makai Knights and Priests. The latter he hadn't explained yet, so I asked him, "Hey Iska, you mentioned that the academy trains both Makai Knights and Makai Priests but you didn't explain what Makai Priests are?"

  He looked at me and replied, "Oh right. I forgot to explain that, didn't I? Well, Makai Priests are practitioners of Mado Arts and serve as assistants to the Knights. Originally, Makai Priests made up the entire Order and fight Horrors alone. However, the Priests weren't strong enough to defeat the more powerful Horrors, then the Makai Knights were created and the Priests took on a more supportive role. They are trained in martial arts, healing, alchemy, blacksmithing and more." I asked, "Wait, what are Mado Arts?" He explained, "Mado Arts are a completely different form of magic that you're familiar with. They're an ancient art practiced by the order that allow us to manipulate reality for various purposes. The Makai Armor and Weapons are forged using this art. Though Priests are better at it, we Knights learn a trick or two from it, teleportation being one example."

  This was actually interesting, a form of magic that's not an innate power but something that can be learned? This meant that I could learn to use it, despite having no magic power. "I just wish all magic was like that. At least that way there wouldn't be as much discrimination in the world." I said to him. Iska replied, "Yeah, the world would be a little more peaceful if that were the case." We soon found ourselves at a hill that overlooks a massive valley, and saw what I assumed was our destination. A huge city sitting in the center of the valley. Farmland encompassing the town, leading half way to edges of the expanse of land. And a river running straight through the city.

  I was in awe of what I bore witness to and Iska said, "Incredible, isn't it? That is the capital of the Makai Order,  where all new members go to study, train, and receive their assignments while they attend the academy. Also, on an interesting side note, this is also where all of our Makai Weapons and Armor are created. When students who choose to the path of the Makai Knight enroll, they receive their personal Titleless blade and armor if they have no armor or weapon of their own."

  I was curious about what he meant by 'Titleless' so I asked him, "Titleless? What's that mean?" "The mantle of Makai Knight is usually passed down by blood. A number of them have specially made Armor, each with unique traits, and bearing a title. I'm one of those Knights, mine is Zero the Silver Fanged Knight. When a Titleless Makai Knight proves they have outstanding skill, the Order will not only give them a title, but also a specially made Makai Armor. And considering how well you were able to handle that horde you fought 3 weeks ago, I think you'll gain a title not long after you begin training." I knew that he was very honest when he said that. After learning how to sense Ki I started to read the emotions of others, and that's how I knew that he was telling the truth. After that, we continued walking towards the city.

  After 2 hours, we arrived at the city gate. There we were approached by two guards, one of whom said, "Welcome back, Iska. How did your job go?" The Makai Knight replied, "A lot more easily than I thought it would. This guy actually already wiped out half of the horde by the time I got there." He pointed to me and the guards were surprised by that and one of them asked me, "Is that so? Who are you, kid?" I introduced myself, "Asta, a former Magic Knight of Clover Kingdom." Before they asked any more questions, Iska said, "I asked him if he wanted to join the Order, and he agreed. I bringing him to the academy to get him admitted." The guards nodded and let us in the city.