Chapter 8

After what happened in Cuba, they were able to get Charles to a hospital and unfortunately Charles could no longer use his legs. It took him a while to come to terms with it, and getting used to using a wheel chair.

When they got back to the mansion, Charles decided to wipe Moira's memories, which took a lot for him to do. Charles and Laura made plans to turn the mansion into a school for mutant children. The Maximoff woman suggested they name it after him...Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters to which he likes...of course.

Charles offered Laura a teaching spot at the school, which she happily accepted. Being that she lived and fought through four wars, it would make sense that she would become the history professor. It didn't take her long to get used to being a professor, and she grew to love it.

She loved teaching her students, and they surprisingly loved her lessons. Even though she was a professor, most of the students saw her as the mother hen of the school, which she appreciated.

Four years after Cuba, and things started to go down hill. The Vietnam war was getting worse, which then caused many students and staff to be drafted. And it didn't take long for the school to shut down. Sean was the first of the X-Men to leave, and there were many tears between him and Laura, who thought of him as a son.

Next was Alex, who eventually joined the Army. Laura was just as sad as she was when Sean left, but she respected his choice. Then it was just Hank, Charles and Laura left. Hank ended up inventing a serum which helped tame his mutation, but Charles abused it. Yes, he could walk again because of it but he himself changed into a bad version of himself.

He would drink everyday, he would yell, throw things. It broke Laura's heart to see him in such a state, which then made her the next to leave. The woman didn't want to but it was getting to be too much. Thankfully, Hank understood and the two said their goodbyes.

Laura had been back in Canada for six years now, and even though it felt good to be home, she felt as though she was missing something. The woman had grown to the idea of living in the mansion with her new family. But the family sadly broke apart.

One day, the Maximoff woman was enjoying her glass of bourbon and cigarette, when there was a knock on her front door. Frowning, Laura got up from her chair and opened the door. There stood a man in a military uniform. At first she thought it was about Alex, but she learnt that it wasn't.

"Hello, Miss Maximoff. I'm Major William Stryker, and I am very happy to finally meet you" He smiled.

If only she knew, that that would be the day her whole life would be turned upside down.