Chapter 3

The sound of shots were drowned out, when a man was thrown through the glass window causing everyone scream in surprise and fear. Darwin was on one side of the group, while Laura was on the other. Soon the killing had stopped, and the two mutant men walked into the room. Laura and Darwin stepped back, with their arms wide open to protect to others.

Laura growled with warning as they got closer, but stopped when she heard more shots being fired and then a voice could be heard next.

"You want the mutants? They're right through that door. Just let us normal people go. We're no threat" The man pleaded, but he went silent and a thump was heard indicating he was now dead.

One of the doors to the room opened, and in walked a man wearing a metal helmet. Laura noticed this man reeked of evil, making her growl louder.

"Where's the telepath?" The man asked, causing the devil to speak up.

"Not here"

"Too bad" Helmet man sighed, turning to look at the group.

"Well, at least i can take this silly thing off" He said taking the helmet off.

"Good evening. My name is Sebastian Shaw. And i am not here to hurt you" He smiled, as he walked closer to the group of mutants. An agents suddenly appeared aiming his gun at the man. But Azazel went and killed him.

"My friends, there's a revolution coming. When mankind discovers who we are, what we can do, each of us will face a choice: be enslaved...or rise up to rule. Choose freely, but know that if you are not with us, then by definition you are against us. So, you can stay and fight for the people who hate and fear you, or you can join me and live like kings" He smiled, then his eyes turned to look at Laura.

"And queens" Laura snarled at him, but he didn't seem fazed and smiled at her. In her mind, Laura knew that he was right in some way. People had feared her, especially after what they witnessed those years ago. But she was smarter than that, she knew that she had to stay and fight for what's right.

His hand was outstretched to Laura, but she just glared at him. Someone did take his hand though, and it turned out to be angel. Everyone looked at her in shock, anger and betrayal.

"Angel" Raven called out.

"Are you kidding me?" Sean breathed out in shock.

"Come on. We don't belong here. And that's nothing to be ashamed of" Angel said, trying to get them to see reason.

"No, no you're just a coward" Laura spat, glaring heatedly at the girl who looked down sadly. Then, Sebastian lead her and the others outside.

"We have to do something" Raven spoke up, making Darwin suddenly turn to them. They noticed that he tried to bring Alex with him, but the boy pushed him away with a look of anger and betrayal. Darwin looked at Laura, and that's when she understood what he was really doing and nodded to him slightly in understanding.

Nervously, she watched as the man jogged over to the others.

"Stop. I'm coming with you" Which seemed to please Sebastian greatly.

"Good choice. So, tell me about your mutation?" Sebastian asked.

"Well, i adapt to survive. So I guess I'm coming with you" Darwin answered, as Laura and the group watched the man stand beside Angel.

"Alex!" he yelled, making Laura push the others away as Alex used his powers. But to everyone's surprise, Sebastian one of the red rings and absorbed it.

"Protecting your fellow mutants. That's a noble gesture. Feels good" And just as he said that, Darwin went to throw a punch but was stopped.

"Adapt to this" He whispered, then shoved the red orb into Darwin's mouth. Sebastian and his group quickly disappeared, leaving the others to watch Darwin die. Laura's eyes stung with tears, as she felt Raven hide her face into her shoulder, while Sean grabbed her hand tightly.

The Maximoff woman pulled the two into her tightly, while she looked over at Alex sadly, who was still looking at the spot Darwin died in. Pulling away from the two gently, Laura walked over to the young man and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Alex? Alex" She spoke gently, gaining his attention and saw the tears in his eyes. Sighing sadly, the woman pulled him into a hug which he quickly reciprocated.

"Don't blame yourself, Alex. This wasn't your fault, okay" She cooed, rubbing his back. Laura knew he blamed himself for Darwin's death, and it broke her heart to see him like that. Pulling away, Laura grabbed his face and made him look at her.

"This was not your fault, you understand me?" She said sternly, making him nod hesitantly. Turning towards the others, she saw just how sad they looked.

"Darwin died protecting us, and blaming ourselves will get us nowhere. We need to protect each other now, that's what a family does. We protect each other" She said, looking at each of them. Even though she just met them, she felt at home, like she belonged there and she was going to protect them with her life, no matter the consequences.