𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | 𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

Start from the beginning

He looked curiously over at Zafiyr who busied himself with replacing his weapon on the wall mount.

"I imagine I can rely on you to make sure things run smoothly. That the soldiers are at the ready when action need be taken." Vuros pressed.

"Of course, your majesty," Zafiyr answered, his eyes still on the swords. He tensed as Vuros rested a stern hand on his shoulder.

"Good." The emperor said. "How are the arrangements for tonight?"

"Everything is in place. The battlement has been prepared and the assigned guards have been briefed and sworn in."

"How many of them?"

"Twelve, your majesty."

Vuros hummed in disapproval. He was not keen on having that many men there. He was diligent about ensuring that as few people as possible knew about his condition. And while the details of the night would be kept to a minimum for the guards involved, some of the men would be curious. They would be told to train in their posts, the defense of the battlement. They would be lax in their roles, but at least they would be there. Twenty-four eyes were not nearly enough, but it was also much more than Vuros allowed himself to be comfortable with.

"The Princess spoke of someone with a cure recently," Zafiyr mentioned, curiously. "Have you met with them?"

Vuros scoffed, recalling the incident without fondness. "It was a farce. Aedina is easily convinced and far too optimistic."

Without introduction, and as if summoned by name, the heavy doors to the sparing room opened up to reveal Aedina. Frantic frustration decorated her face.

Zafiyr bowed at the sight of the Princess.

"Aedina?" Vuros questioned. "What is it?"

"There has been an incident." She huffed, out of breath from clearly running to the room.

"What is it, Aedina?" Vuros pressed further.

"An assassination attempt." Aedina clarified. "On Lord Barakos. The council is awaiting your arrival in the tribunal."

Vuros furrowed his brow in confusion. There had not been an attempt on the life of a courtesan in decades. Who dared do so now? He dismissed Zafiyr and followed after Aedina.

"When did this happen?" Vuros questioned as the two traversed the halls, side by side.

"Ten past the hour. The offender was apprehended by Barakos' guards soon after the act, and travel back to the palace commenced immediately after. The council is enraged." Aedina explained.

Finally, they reached the tribunal room. As the doors opened, Vuros wondered about the face of the man with temerity enough to make an attempt on the life of a councilman.

The room was full and loud, the chorus of angered voices from the councilmen tearing through the walls. None more so than Barakos himself.

They sat, two and two, on the side of the table that stretched the length of the room. And at the end, bound, gagged, and flanked by two guards was the criminal.

A tiny Cal girl.

Vuros kept a serious disposition, but within he struggled to keep from laughing at the absurd scene. Most of the men yelled, faces red and fists in the air as if they themselves had been attacked. Barakos, the victim, clutched blood-stained linen to his eye. Every moment or two he cast a venomous glance toward the Cal girl with his one good eye. Yet, of the spectacle before him, Vuros found the most interesting aspect to be the girl. She sat perfectly still and calm. If anything she looked mildly irritated. Of course, that may have all been due to her situation, fetters, and rope keeping her firmly in position.