Chapter Fifteen This is growing up.

Chapter Fifteen - This is growing up.

"Hey, Dad", my voice nervous. Billy, Steve and I stand on the front porch. Reefer Rick nowhere in sight. My Father shakes his head, arms folded. "Y/n, where have you been? Do you have any idea how upset your Mother is? We thought," I can hear the fear in his voice, and I feel awful. "We thought something happened to you. Half the force is looking for you."

I step towards him. "I'm so sorry, Dad, I was just" before I can continue, Steve steps in front of me. "Sorry, Mr Y/L/N, Im the reason she's here. I wanted to hang out, and then my car broke down, and we were stuck here, so I called Billy, and he fixed my car and gave me a talking too." Steve talks with such conviction, like his been a lawyer for years or something. "You see Billy dropped her home at what 10? 10:30?" Steve looks at Billy, and Billy and I both nod in agreement.

"But I picked her up and then my car, so It's not her fault or Billy's."

My Father looks between the three of us, a confused expression on his face. "You didn't think to call," is all he says. "I know I should have. I'm really sorry", he sighs. 

"Come on, let's go. Your Mother is beside herself." As my Father walks to the car, I hug Steve, whispering thank you in his ear.

Billy holds his hand out, and I grab it, and he pulls me into a hug. He holds me as we kiss, but it's cut short as my Father beeps the horn. "Tell Rick thanks", I say as I walk away.

Steve and Billy both enter back in the house. "Rick, his gone the coast is clear!" Billy yells out, and Rick emerges out of his room, shaking his head "fuck man, that was close" he laughs and slumps himself down on the sofa, bong in hand, lighting it up and kicking his feet up on the coffee table.

"I better get going" Steve heads towards the door. "Later, man," Rick says as he exhales.

Billy follows him out and down the porch steps. "Hey, uh, thanks for what you said to Y/n's Dad." Steve just nods casually "no problem", Billy steps forward. "Nah, man, I really mean it, thanks. I don't think he likes me much."

"Don't worry, he will come round, or he will drive you out of town", Steve smirks.

"Great", Billy laughs. "I just don't want the people Y/n loves to hate me. I don't want to make this hard on her or like she has to choose, you know?"

Billy sighs, speaking like his exhausted from it all.

Steve looks down. He looks guilty "she'd choose you."

Billy looks at Steve. "You think?" Steve nods "oh, believe me, she would."

"I wouldn't ask her to."

When Billy says that, Steve feels a mix of relief and realisation that Billy really does love Y/n, he really wants what's best for her even if that's not him, Steve thinks to himself that he was being selfish, asking her to choose that he hurt her more than Billy ever could.

"So we cool?" Steve says, half hanging out his car door. Billy shrugs "yeah, just know your place, Harrington or I will put you in it".

Steve laughs, but Billy doesn't. He pulls out a cigarette as Steve starts his car and drives away.

Meanwhile

It's silent in my Dad's patrol car. He radios over to the other officers, "Got her." "Dad, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to make you guys worry; I should have called or told Steve I couldn't come out. I just.." I'm starting to ramble to try fill this agonising silence. The only sound filling the car is my Fathers sigh. I stop talking and look down, knowing I've really messed up this time. I look out the window at Hawkins at all the familiar sights until I see that we turned off on Habersham.