Chapter 12: Save Me, San Francisco

Early Sunday Morning....

Sammie is on her way to San Francisco with Emma, Maria, Michael, and Luis. Maria sits behind the wheel, navigating the car down the highway.

Sammie: Thanks again for driving, Maria. I know it was a really early start this morning.

Maria: Of course! I have coffee and friends to keep me awake....I'm all set. Besides, I'd much rather be driving all day than just waiting around in the backseat.

Sammie: It's too bad Caleb and Aiden's parents wouldn't let them come with us.

Maria: I get it though. Caleb's about to be expelled, and Aiden just finished his suspension.

Michael: Besides, even if they could come, it's not like we had room for them anyway.

Sammie: Good point....we'll just have to fill them in later!

To Sammie's left, Emma looks out the window in wonder.

Emma: It's do strange not seeing snow around here!

Sammie: No snow? I was a bit too distracted by you to even notice....

Emma meets her gaze and smiles.

Emma: Aw, Sammie. You're making me blush!

Sammie: Mission accomplished.

Luis: By the way, how much longer until we're in San Francisco?

Maria: According to my GPS, two hours and fifteen minutes....give or take.

Michael: I just hope these ClickIt guys won't waste our time like they did on the phone.

Sammie: At least all of Isa's other identities were easy to track!

Emma: So let me make sure I have this straight....Isa used to work for Mansingh Global....but they fired her because her project didn't produce results.

Michael: Not to mention they poured millions of dollars into it.

Emma: Right, but then she worked for Hartfield University....until she quit unexpectedly. And that was around the time she started at Berry High.

Sammie: The person I talked to said she worked for the finance department....and a lot of money went missing then. But the question is this. How much you want to bet the 'missing money' was her paying off that Phantom guy?

Maria: At least the ClickIt guys are letting us look at their files. But they could've been nicer on the phone! I had to call back five times before they'd even talk to me about Ashley Faris.

Sammie: It won't be long before we can talk to them in person!

A few hours later, in San Francisco....

Sammie and her friends walk into the ClickIt office, where an assistant ushers she to a group of beanbag chairs.

Sammie: Nice place.

Emma: It's not just nice. This is where the Which Spicy Pepper Matches Your Soul quiz was born!

Luis: Did you see the video that went along with it? My mouth was on fire just watching it.

Sammie: What happened?

Luis: Some guy ate a crazy spicy pepper and nearly blew his own head off.

Michael: People are crazy.

Sammie: And that's why I hate clickit. Sometimes they cross the line of what's funny and what's dangerous. Then I just feel used after I watch.

Emma: But ClickIt has some really good content. Like this one time--