Cha. 008

Yibo walked into the Emperor's study  chambers with a pile of official reports, he placed it on the table that the Emperor occupied, at the same time as the Emperor reached out to grab a copy and placed his hand on top of his.

Yibo's eyes widened and he reacted too fast as he immediately withdrew his hand and stepped back while keeping his head lowered.

Xiao Zhan smirked at the reaction and picked one of the report notes. "Are you alright?"

Yibo looked at his hand and pounded on the Emperor's question. Why wouldn't he be alright, it was just a simple mistake, nothing worth making a fuss for but why did he feel tingles and chill on the place the Emperor touched? "I'm alright, Your Majesty,"

"Good. You are dismissed," came the Emperor's order, and Yibo swiftly turned and stepped out of the chamber while being aware of the Emperor's eyes drilling through his back intensively.

Was that normal?

It had been a few weeks since he entered the palace and he had noticed the glances, the looks of fondness, and most times want and longing being directed to him by the Emperor. Or perhaps, he could be mistaken and he was just paranoid.

He looked down at his hand and nearly shivered as the Emperor's smirk flashed in his head.

Shaking his head, the Young master cleared his thoughts and went on his way. He had to be mistaken.

*~*

Being the King's assistant and shadow meant walking into things and places you do not want to be and at times like this, Yibo wished he could disappear.

He froze at his feet while his gaze stayed on the scene taking place on the Emperor's mattress.

His mouth fell open and his throat dried up at the way the Emperor kissed and sucked on the neck of a half-naked maiden.

He wanted to make himself disappear but he couldn't, something rooted him at his stance while something crawled and clawed in his chest and made his heart bleed and he clenched hard on the sliver tray of fruit the Emperor had requested a few minutes ago and yet, when he returned, he found the Emperor sucking the face of someone.

Yibo's heart clenched and his jaw locked. He didn't like the scene in front of him and he couldn't tell why and he also couldn't identify the feeling in his chest. He didn't realize when he let go of the tray till the clanging sound of metal alarmed them all, especially the Emperor and the maiden as they tore away from each other and averted their gazes to him.

"Have you lost your mind?!" The lady squealed in anger while bringing the bedsheets to her chest.

Maybe he had. "My apologies, your majesty. I didn't mean to interrupt," Yibo clasped the side of his robe and ducked his head before the emperor who sported a blank face.

"Mannerless!" The lady scolded and Yibo felt like strangling her to her demise.

"Clean up the mess," came the Emperor's calm order and Yibo immediately squatted and quickly cleared the mess he made.

His movements were fast and hasty as he was done in a second and left the Emperor's chambers in a sprint.

Once Yibo was gone, the maiden purred and crawled her way to Zhan's lap. "Now, where were we, your majesty?" She whispered against his ears but a quick gasp left her when the Emperor shoved her off and stood to his feet, arranging his black robes.

"You aren't needed anymore, you are dismissed," came the order.

"But your majesty, we were just getting sta-"

Her words were cut off when the Emperor averted his gaze back to her and his eyes cut through her like a knife and she nearly cowered away in fear.

"Should I repeat myself, subject?"

Quickly, she shook her head and got off the mattress. She didn't need to be told twice as she was gone the next second while Yibo returned the next moment with his head lowered and his knuckles folded in a tight fist.

Zhan smirked and a glint flashed in his eyes as he slowly approached his right-hand man. "Does it hurt seeing me with someone else?"

Yibo didn't like the way his heart picked up pace at the words as if he was caught. Why would he care if he saw the Emperor with someone else and from what he had seen, the Emperor changed his bed warmers on a daily basis. It was none of his business. "No,"

"No?" Zhan voiced in amusement, getting closer and closer till he was standing feet away from him. Teasingly, he moved his ear closer to Yibo's chest but the other moved away after getting a sniff of the Emperor's woodsy scent that made his insides get heated.

What was that?

"Your heart says otherwise," the Emperor taunted, looking up to lock eyes with Yibo who immediately drafted his eyes.

His throat felt dry. He knew he didn't speak much and would rather keep his thoughts to himself but at the moment, he felt trapped and words refused to leave his lips. He wanted to deny it. Why should he care if the Emperor was with another, it wasn't like he was jealous or he lov-

He internally shook his head at how far his thoughts had gone.

Loved the Emperor?

That was the most absurdist thing Yibo had ever thought of in his life. The Emperor was a man, how could he love a man?

Yibo didn't notice when the Emperor reached out his hand till his cold fingers were caressing his cheek and he snapped back to reality, immediately jerking away.

"Your Majesty, is there something else you need?"

You.  Zhan wanted to reply. He needed nothing more than the person in front of him. The person he had marked and vowed to protect till his dying day. He needed him like the air that he breathed and Zhan didn't know how long he would last fighting that urge, how long he would last restraining himself. He sported a tiny smile. He was going to have him sooner or later. He only wanted to be patient and wait for the day Yibo would come begging.

"No, you are dismissed,"