Cha. 003

"Young master Wang?"

The little master's eyes snapped open at the sound of being called. His little doe eyes stared blinkingly at a smiling Huasiang.

"Thank goodness, I thought you had kicked the bucket," the Nie lad beamed, helping Yibo in a sitting position on the little bed.

Yibo scanned his surrounding, finding unfamiliarity everywhere he looked, noticing the many beds occupied by several children like him. "Where are we, Huasiang?" His doe eyes went up to meet the ones of his friend.

"Right, you have you missed a lot though nothing interesting has happened so far, they only come in to check up on us and leave. The prince saved us, bringing us to the main kingdom," he explained, placing himself beside Yibo on the bed.

Yibo's gaze lowered but his eyes landed on a black cloak lying on the bed. His little hands reached to pick it up. He looked back at Huasiang. "Is this yours?" He wondered out loud but the other lad shook his head.

"No, it looks fancy. Perhaps it belongs to the prince. Look!" He exclaimed, pointing at the royal tread designed at the back of the cloak. "Maybe he would come back for it,"

Little Yibo had no idea why his heart flicker at the mention of the young prince, why excitement surged through his veins. He brought the cloak closer to his chest, getting an odd sense of familiarity, warmth, and comfort he didn't want to depart from; odd.

"Huh?" Huasiang tilted his head, noticing a faint glow on Yibo's ear. Curiously, he reached to touch and when he did, he immediately retreated his hand at the spark that burnt his finger. "Ouch!" He cried out, not looking away from the continuous glow. "Your ear!"

Yibo stared confusedly before his hand reached his ear, fondling it, finding it itchy. "it's itchy!" He announced, rubbing against his ear repeatedly.

"It was glowing!" Huasiang exclaimed, gaping when he realized the glow was gone from Yibo's continuous rubbing.

"Children!"

An unknown voice suddenly called out and every child inside the massive chambers reeled their heads, their attention drawn to the center of the room where a lady stood in red clothing with an elegant posture, and beside her were two maids in green, carrying trays of scissors and combs. "You have been here for days and no proper introduction has been made…" the lady in red began. "...I am Miss Wen Qing and I will be in charge of you from now. Silver Jade will be your new home with your identities changed from now on. You are no longer from your little clans but properties of the imperial, for one day you will grow older and serve the emperor with devotion. Whoever betrays the empire shall pay with his life. Let's hope you don't follow the footsteps of your traitorous parents." She slowly took hold of a pair scissors and grabbed the kid closest to her.

Their little eyes widened as she cut off the boy's hair "With your hairs gone, you no longer have a tie with your families. This is your new identity."

Yibo watched with horror as the other children's hair got cut off, shorter, above their shoulders. Most wailed while others kept their cries in their chest.

Their hair was the most essential part of them. It was a connection to their families, especially their parents. It was like a blessing, a reminder that their parents were there when they were not, cutting off their hair was like cutting a part of them that could never be restored, making them a mole among others.

When Huaisang's turn arrived, Yibo noticed how the lad did bat an eye, his eyes were stoic, his face was determined, accepting of the future with his long hair gone forever.

Yibo looked down at his hair falling messily over his shoulder. If Huaisang could do it, he believed he could also do it but it was harder than he thought as the scissor chopped through his hair, followed by a pearl of tear that rolled down his cheek.

How pathetic! A taunting voice echoed at the back of his head as he strolled back to Huasiang's side.

"New clothes will be brought to you, and also a schedule you will be following from now on." Miss  Qing announced and the children nodded. What choice did they have?

Miss Qing turned to leave but stopped dead in her tracks, catching a faint glow on one of the children's ear but it was gone the second those sorrowful doe eyes locked with hers.

She averted her gaze. She knew she didn't see it wrong but the question was, what was it doing there? How did a child this young get to bear such a mark?

She turned to leave, believing time would bring all the answers to her questions one way or the other.

12 years later…!

*~*

What do you think  Zhan did to Yibo?

WEN QING