A Chanced Encounter

Start from the beginning

"Um...hello," Cello finally got the nerve to say. It seemed as if they had been staring at each other for far longer than necessary. It wasn't an awkward silence that befell them but a calming one instead. It was as if their eyes said everything that needed to be said between them. At least that's what it felt like to Cello. Lucky sat in between the two standing men, looking back and forth at both of them.

"Hello," the man said back. He gave a smile showing pearly white teeth. The bottom half of his face was covered in a neatly trimmed dark beard that was slightly peppered with some gray. He was otherworldly handsome. "I didn't think anyone ventured this far away from the village."

"My home is nearby," answered Cello. "I was taking my dog here for a walk." The man looked down at the brown and white dog that looked at him with curiosity. "He's not...very good with strangers."

"The dog or you?" The man questioned Cello. Cello looked away as the man continued to smile at him. He knelt in front of Lucky who panted while wagging his tail. "He doesn't seem too bad."

"He doesn't look like it, but he can get vicious." Cello told the man. "I've seen the way he attacks bacon." The man laughed while extending the top of his hand to Lucky. Lucky walked forward beginning to sniff the man's hand. As soon as he got acquainted with the new smell, Lucky immediately pounced on the man and began licking his face.

"Lucky!" Cello called at him, pulling him off the now laughing man who was forced on his back in the dirt.

"I can definitely see how vicious he can be." The man laughed again.

"I'm so sorry!" Cello apologized. "Let me help you up." Cello extended his hand which the man gratefully took. As soon as their hands touched a literal shock shot up Cello's arm. Once the man was up on his feet again, he was inches from Cello. Cello was staring directly at the top of his chest. He could see a light patch of hair sticking out of the man's white tunic.

"Thanks," he said softly, he could only see the top of Cello's head. Cello looked up to meet the man's gaze whose lips were awfully close to his own. He smelled of lavender combined with a manly musk that set off all of Cello's senses.

More sunlight peeked through the leaves again casting a ray on Cello's eyes. The man could see how brown they truly were. His coarse black hair was cut low, and the man noticed dirt on his brown skin. He knew immediately that he was a farmer. He seemed a bit timid and soft-spoken, however. Not traditionally like the other farmers on the countryside who were rather boisterous about their gardening techniques.

"My name is Gabriel" the man said, shaking the hand he still held.

"Violoncello," Cello said back to him shaking his hand back. For some reason, neither wanted to let the other's hand go so they let their hands rest in between them. "But my family calls me Cello."

"Cello," Gabriel repeated his name. "A beautiful name... for a beautiful man." Gabriel whispered the last part of that sentence. It was as if he meant to say that in his head, but Cello heard him loud and clear. Gabriel's eyes grew wide when he realized that he let those words slip from his tongue. He was mortified, petrified even. He had no idea what came over him. He was terrified of how this man would react to his words.

Cello only smiled softly at him and slightly squeezed the hand he was still holding. Gabriel said no more. He was worried what else he'd accidentally say as his heart reverberated in his chest. This man in front of him, this Cello, was affecting him now in ways he couldn't explain. He wanted to get to know him better. He wanted to know what made him happy, sad, what his hopes and dreams were. He wanted to fiercely protect him from all pain and heartache. As these thoughts crossed his mind, he also became horrified that he was thinking them to begin with. Why was he having such feelings about another man? Unbeknownst to him, Cello shared very similar thoughts of his own.

"There you are, sire," a man in chainmail armor came walking up behind Gabriel. Cello noticed the kingdom's crest on the man's breastplate. "Shall we continue on with the rest of the group or shall we head back?" Gabriel looked back at the guard then turned his attention on Cello again.

"I'm-" he began to say.

"Nobility." Cello gasped feeling the color drain from his face. He began to panic as he immediately removed his hand from Gabriel's grasp. "I am so sorry!"

Cello noticed how physically filthy he was. He noticed how perverse his thoughts were. He didn't deserve to share a country with someone as esteemed as Gabriel, let alone touch his hand. He was a poor farmer in the presence of nobility. If his stepfather knew he was within a mile of nobility, he would surely suffer another beating. He whistled for Lucky who was in the clearing lying on the cool grass. Cello began sprinting towards his home with Lucky running close behind him. He could faintly hear Gabriel pleading for him to wait.