Enterprise

Two Days Later

"Kris, the shuttle's waiting,"

"The shuttle won't leave without the captain of the Enterprise," I yell back.

Chris laughs and yells that the shuttle won't wait for me. That gets me going. But where on earth is my suitcase? I had it last night before I showered. So where'd it go?

"Where's my suitcase?"

"I had someone bring it up with mine last night,"

So that's who was at the door at 2200 hours. Good to know. I was wondering who the voices were while I was in the shower.

Chris grumbles about the flannel as I emerge from my room.

I shrug. "It's not my fault your shirt shrunk in the wash,"

No, it was mine. A science project Commander Jankins had me do. He had no idea how to entertain me so his bright idea was to shrink one of Chris's flannels. It worked but Chris was less than stellar.

Chris groans and tells me to get a move on. He holds out a mug of coffee. My favourite. Caramel latte. Likely from my favourite shop on the corner of the engineering building.

I grab the coffee and allow Chris to lead me to the launch bay.

It's a quaint walk. Not quite fifteen minutes but not short enough to be ten minutes. When we arrive an ensign is waiting for us.

Chris motions for the kid to enter the shuttle. He follows the kid in and looks back at me. He smiles, then nods his head for me to board.

I was in a shuttle just like this one three days ago. Now I'm stepping foot on one again. But this time I'm not a passenger. I'm a co-pilot.

I settle into my chair and begin my preflight checklist.

Chris does the same.

As we take off the ensign grips his seat tight enough to white knuckle his fingers. Not a flyer, got it. Redshirt. Too scrawny for security—engineering it is.

"Ensign, what's your preferred method of priming the warp core?" I ask as a fellow engineer.

"What?"

"You're an engineer right?"

"Yeah,"

"So answer the question,"

The young man begins rambling on about how he prefers to prime a warp core. His first few sentences wobble, then they steady out as he gets used to the shuttle. Every time.

Chris and I share a smile.

He used to play that trick on me when we would go back to Bear Creek when he had shore leave. Flying bothered me after my parents died on the USS Edison. Somehow I ended up with my pilot's license.

After landing the ensign asks who I am. So I tell him.

"I'm Lieutenant-Commander Kristen Lee Pike,"

The ensign shakes my hand before saluting Chris and running off.

Not even two feet off the shuttle a familer face sticks out.

Uhura squeals my name and runs over. Her arms held wide for a hug. My friend of seven months. We met the last time I was aboard the Enterprise. Chris held a dinner and Ortagas made Uhura think this was a formal event. She showed up in her dress uniform.

It's surprising we never met at the academy. She's a year older than I am but from what she's told me she didn't enlist until last year. Which is surprising.

Meanwhile I've been intertwined with the academy since I was nine. It was my saving grace after my parents died. It was something for me to focus on when I was in a pit of despair. It also helped me become a Lieutenant Commander so young.

"Good to see you," I pat her arm after we finish hugging. I feel like I've known her so much longer than seven months.

"And you,"

Uhura immediately begins rambeling about how Sam Kirk shaved his mustache after he lost a game of poker. He has a baby face. I knew it, Uhura knew it. Hell the whole crew knew it.

Oh. I know something about our resident vulcan that she doesn't. "Did you know Spock had a beard,"

Uhura's jaw drops. "He did?"

"He did and not only that it looked good," Chris sneakily took a photo. Not only did he take a photo he sent it to me.

"How do you know this?"

"Chris took a picture," I keep the photo as a momento. One more thing I can hold over the vulcans head. Since he can hold anything over mine, literally since he has a foot of height on me.

"I wish I could see that,"

That can be arranged.

"I have a copy,"

"Oh yes,"

"Ehem, cadet," Chris cuts in. Right, he's with us.

"Oh yes, sir," Uhura stands back and nods to her superior.

Chris smiles at his cadet. He gestures to the exit. A simple yet effective way of saying lets get going. "Shall we?"

"Of course sir," Uhura nods.

There here to work. I'm a civilian. I'm here to heal. "Of course, you have work to do,"

Uhura looks from Chris to me. "You didn't transfer?"

"No, I'll explain later," I turn from my friend to Chris. "I'll see you at dinner."

"See you at dinner." Chris kisses my forehead and then turns to Uhura. Together they make their way out.

I stand in the shuttle bay watching officers and crewmen work. A little slice of life. Soon enough someone asks me to move. Now I'm in the way. So I leave.

Halfway to my quarters, a familiar voice stops me as I wait for the turbo lift.

"Ah, Kristen,"

Good old doctor. He makes one hell of a tour guide. Never thought I'd see Kenya like he showed Chris and me. I'm glad about it.

"M'Benga,"

M'Benga smiles. He keeps a respectable distance from me. And I thank him with a nod for it. "If you ever need company the medbay could always use a little more light,"

I...I'd love to but I can't. It's too much too fast. Especially after Commander Walker.

"Thank you but I'm not so sold on the medbay as of late,"

M'Benga nods. "Have you told Chris?"

I shake my head. I know I should but I can't not yet. I don't need this distracting him. Not now. He just got back on his feet.

M'Benga makes eye contact with me. In fact, he makes an effort to find my eyes. "He'll find out one way or another,"

"I know,"

"Think about my offer," M'Benga smiles. He goes to place a hand on my shoulder but stops when he remembers he shouldn't touch me. "If you need a place to flop the medbay is a good place,"

I nod.

"A place to flop doesn't seem as cool coming from your mouth,"

M'Benga smiles.

"See you around M'Benga." I step into the turbolift and call out for deck three. In seconds I'm lifeted to deck three. My cabin is down the hall from Chris' and is technically the third in commands quarters.

It's been mine for nearly two decades.

In my cabin I let loose a breath. By the door I keep knicknaks and keepsakes, such as a wooden owl Chris got me for my seventh birthday. It's one of the few items I took with me when I left earth as a child.

Across from my bathroom is my bed. I walk over to it and belly flop. A groan escapes my lips the moment my face hits my pillow.

This is going to be a challenge.