Foreward

March 2242

3rd Pov

"Mommy?" Young 7-year-old Kristen Lee calls out for her mother. In her hands a finished model of the enterprise. The 1930s warship. Not the flagship of the federation. A hobby shared with her godfather.

"Yes, darling?" Amy Morison-Lee answers her daughter.

"When will Chris get here?" Kristen asks after her namesake and godfather. Christopher Pike. A commander at the time. Years away from becoming captain. "I want to show him, my model of the enterprise,"

"He'll be here in a bit sweetie. He's never late," Amy smiles snuggling closer to her husband Cameron Lee.

A few minutes later a loud knock at the door perks Kristen up. She runs for the door completely forgetting about the model ship. Kristen presses the open command and standing in all his glory is Christopher Pike.

The tall man smiles down at his goddaughter. Without as much as a hug, Kristen grabs Christopher's sleeve and leads him over to her model ship. The two kneel on the floor to look at it.

"Hey, Kris,"

Kristen barely acknowledges his hello before she begins telling Christopher about her model and all she's learned about it.

"Glad you could make it Chris," Amy smiles leaning over her daughter's shoulder.

"Me too," Christopher holds up a bottle of red. "I brought wine,"

Amy snorts as her husband eagerly nabs it from his best friend's hand. He walks into the kitchen and pops it open. He pours himself a glass and takes a sip. Cameron moans.

"You really are special,"

"And yet you still married him," Christoper chuckles before his attention is pulled back to the model ship.

Amy smiles adoringly at her husband. Her best friend, husband and daughter all in one place. "That I did."
_____

August 2242

"Captain," Lieutenant Commander Cameron Lee beckons his captain over to his station. "You need to see this,"

Captain Kenneth Rhodes strides over to her first officer's station. She leans over his shoulder. "Put it on screen,"

Lieutenant Commander Cameron does as instructed. A large ship appears on screen. Its ashy grey hull looms over the Edison.

"Incoming message,"

"On screen,"

"It's audio-only,"

"Proceed,"

"Surrender or be destroyed."

Captain Rhodes steps forward to introduce herself. "I'm captain Kenneth Rhodes of the federation—"

The large ship fires upon the Edison. The whole ship shakes. But shields hold. Barely. Still wanting to gain friendly relations with this new species Captain Rhodes belays the order to fire. Instead, she tries hailing the ship.

This time the alien's torpedo makes contact with the USS Edison. Several decks explode on impact. Fires spread to other decks as water tight doors fail to close. The next torpedo hits the left nacelle. The Edison lists to the side. 

Then another torpedo hits the right nacelle.

Captain Rhodes orders the helmsmen to depart the system. But the helmsmen tells her it's not possible. The USS Edison is caught in the planet's gravity. The ship doesn't have enough juice to pull out. Not with impulse power. It's just not enough.

Captain Rhodes sighs. "Evacuate the ship."

Captain Rhodes turns to her number one. She tells him to go, be with his wife. Live another day to see his child. Lieutenant Commander Cameron nods. He shakes his captain's hand before departing the bridge.

Cameron works his way to where he knows his wife is. When he finds her she has an arm around a medical officer. Amy smiles at her husband. She grabs him and pulls him close, ignoring the deep ache in her ankle. "For Kris."

Cameron nods. Together they head for the shuttle bay. As they arrive the last shuttle leaves. Amy swears bloody murder. She nods to the door. They head for it the medical officer trailing behind.

Inside a turbo lift, Cameron pulls out his communicator. "Lieutenant Commander Lee to Captain Rhodes,"

"Lee, has everyone gone?"

"All but us sir, the last shuttle just left without me, Lieutenant Lee and ensign Cromwell,"

"I'll meet you at the transporter,"

"Not possible, we're at the bridge," The turbo lift dings as it reaches the bridge. Cameron helps his wife out and faces his captain.

"Some officers we have under us," Kenneth smiles softly. "I'm sorry Cameron. Truly I am,"

Cameron doesn't answer. Instead, he looks out the window at the planet's surface rushing to greet them. Amy waddles over to her husband. She grips him and holds him tight. If they are to die then they will die together. In a loving embrace.

Cameron sighs. "It's pretty isn't it."

No one gets a chance to answer.
_____

"Commander Pike, it's in my greatest sadness to have to tell you that the USS Edison has crash-landed and exploded on a planet of unknown origin. All of the Edison's crew has been killed or taken captive by the locals. Starfleet has been informed that Lieutenant Commander Lee and Lieutenant Lee have been pronounced dead on sight," Admiral Richard Barnett announces to Christopher Pike.

Christopher's stoic expression falls to horror. Memories flash before his eyes. Years at the academy, days of laughter and tears, nights filled with discussions and good food. Days he can't get back. Years he can't get back. Friends he can't get back. "What?"

"No no no,"

"I saw them barely 5 months ago. They were readying for departure on the Edison,"

"Oh, my god Kris," Christopher pulls at his hair. "What will happen to her?"

"Kristen Lee will be brought to your location within several days,"

"What of her relatives in Scotland? Won't they want her?"

"I've already contacted her relatives in Scotland and Canada. Neither have the means to care for an extra child and Lieutenant Commander Lee and Lieutenant Lee dictated in their will that Kristen's care would fall to you if they met an early demise,"

"I'll leave you to prepare for Kristen Lee's arrival. Barnett out."

Christopher leans back in his chair. Mist in his eyes. Tears threatening to spill over. A numbness setting in. He sits for hours until someone knocks on his door. Christopher sits up and wipes his face clear of tears. "Come."
_____

"Hey, Kris,"

"Hi," Kristen doesn't bat an eye at Christopher. She simply stands on the transporter pad watching her godfather.

Captain Robert April steps forward from beside his number one. He kneels in front of Kristen. Robert gives Kristen a small smile. "Hello Kristen, I'm Robert April. Captain of the Enterprise. You already know my first officer,"

"Hello, Captain April,"

"Why don't you go with Christopher. He'll show you to your quarters."

Kristen nods and goes to her godfather. Christopher kneels and engulfs her in a large hug. One full of warmth and one the pair both needed.

Hours later Kristen walks from her room down the hall to Christopher's. She opens the door and walks in. She waits for a moment before calling out.

"Chris?"

Christopher rolls over. Waking from his slumber. "Yes?"

"Can I sleep here?"

"Come here." Christopher opens his covers and allows the small girl to crawl in. Just like when he would nap at Kristen's parent's house. A particularly fond memory on Kristen's part.