The sharp edge of the hook almost cut you sometimes, but after putting some corn on it, and throwing it in the water with a *flop*, it didn't bother you anymore.

Canada threw his line out next to yours and even though the risk of the lines tangling was high, you let them be. He sat down on the rocks beside you. The weather was nice, but it was noticeable that it was becoming a bit colder.

Your hair swayed in the wind and the sun shone through the trees directly on to the rocks you were sitting on.

.
.
.

A leaf landed in the water and circles formed around it. What a beautiful day.
The lines were already out in the water and your Dad made sure to check if anything had taken the bait yet.

You were watching him from the camping chair, which was placed so the sun would shine on it. You had just turned seven and your Father decided to take you out to fish. It was the first time he had ever done that and so you were excited to see how it was like.

„Papa?" You asked him with a energetic undertone.
He took a while to respond as he was watching the water intently, waiting for the slightest disturbance of the water surface.
„Yes Y/N? Are you hungry?" He asked standing up, ready to get you something out of the cooling box he had brought along.
You shook your head.Staring out at the beautiful lake with rocks at the edges. It looked magical. Like out of a fairy tale.
.
.
„Do monsters exist?"

You remembered how just a week prior you had stayed up past bedtime and snuck into the living room where your parents were watching TV. You saw the disgusted and horrified look on their faces as the lady in the TV talked about something you couldn't understand.
„What a monster!" You Heard your mother say, clearly disgusted and your father agreed soon after.

Your father was clearly taken aback by that sudden question but after a few seconds of silence he just sighed and told you what everyone had been telling you.

„Monsters don't exist silly" he chuckled and handed you a granola bar he fished out of his pocket, while caressing your cheek with his thumb.

.
.
.
.

You reached up your hand to touch your cheek, wanting to feel the presence of your father once more, but nothing was there. You sighed, not knowing if you were sad or just disappointed. Or maybe both, or maybe none of these emotions at all?

„Are you alright?" You flinched slightly, You had completely forgotten that you were here with Canada.
„Ah- Sorry about that. I tend to zone out sometimes"

Not completely the truth but at least I'm not lying...

Canada took that as an answer, when you noticed something and jumped to your feet running over to the fishing rods and taking yours into your hand. A quick movement with your hands and you felt the extra weight on the line.

„I've got something!" You cheered with a pounding heart while Canada got the landing net ready. He reeled his line in to avoid it tangling with yours.

„WHOA!" You almost tipped over.
„Is it a big fish!?" Canada asked as excited as you to which you responded with a pant.
„Yep, quite heavy. And strong too!" You reeled the line in carefully and slow as to not loose the fish fighting against it. Every bad thought already forgotten.

After some tiring and exhausting minutes Canada was able to catch the fish with his net and pulled it out of the water.

„Wow it's huge!"
„A pike! This is my first ever pike Canada!" You excitedly told him how happy and lucky you were. Canadas smile formed within seconds as to seeing you so happy when's sudden idea popped up in his head and he rushed over to the backpack he brought with him, snatching something out of it and going back to you.