Chapter two

Chapter two

I walk home, my satchel hanging over my shoulder, the weight of the books slightly hurting me.

Intransigent...what does that mean?

Does that mean I'm special? Weird? Strange? And he said Divergent before...

What's that?

Oh no...what do I tell my parents? They will be expecting a result from my aptitude test. But I have four.

I'll just tell them it was Erudite.

I finally make it to my house, and I walk up the porch and inside. My house is small and futuristic looking. I walk into the lounge room, seeing my father on the couch.

"Hello Elise" says my father, not looking up at me.

Garret Storm. My father.

He is a tall man, with a thin frame and long face. His hair is a dusty brown, and his eyes look almost black, and he constantly wears glasses.

He doesn't like my name. Winter. He wanted Elise, but my mom wanted Winter. So I'm Winter Elise Storm, but he calls me Elise. Although, he doesn't call me that in public.

"Hello father" I say, walking towards my room.

"Hold up" he says, and I curse under my breath.

I spin around, facing him and putting a smile on my face, even though I don't want to. "Yes?"

He turns the page in his newspaper, puckering his thick lips. "What did you get for your aptitude test?"

Usually, you don't tell people what you get. It's about of the rules; no one knows your result.

But my parents don't care; they get whatever they want, whenever they want.

Their an older version of spoilt, bratty children.

"Erudite" I say.

One of my talents; I can lie pretty easily.

He nods briskly. "That's good."

I spin on my heels, sprinting up the stairs and to my room. I hang my bag up on the hook behind my door, and I take my jacket off.

My room is small, with a bed, a desk, and a cupboard.

"Winter! Are you home?"

I groan. "Yes."

"Come down please!"

Groaning again, I plonk down stairs and to the kitchen where my mom is. She is chopping some veggies up and placing them in a large pot.

She raises an eyebrow, pouting her lips. "What was your result?"

Ruth Storm. Or as I sometimes call her behind her back, Ruthless Storm.

She has light brown hair in a bob, and a thin, pixie like face with small, green eyes. She's as tall as me, but thinner than I am. Her build is quite stick like, unlike my curvy, but well built body.

"Erudite" I say.

She nods, turning back to the soup she is making. "Good. Now your choice at the choosing ceremony will be simple."

I mentally groan.

Will I choose Erudite? Why would I though?

My parents are unloving, and they like to show me off like a trophy. And the truth is...even though I love reading, and I'm really curious, I want to see the world, rather than study it.

I'm a little adventurous.

Not an Erudite trait.

"Yes. It will" I say.

She throws some chicken on the pot, turning to me. "Early dinner tonight. I want you up bright and early tomorrow so we can get good seats at the choosing ceremony."

I grit my teeth. "Fine."

"And I have some homework for you on the kitchen table" she says, nudging her head to the table.

I give her a fake smile before stalking to the table and slumping down in the chair.

My parents want me to be smart. They want me to be first in every subject at school. So, they make me do home world that they have assigned for me.

Not my teachers.

My parents.

I look to the window, and I just can see the ruined buildings of where the Factionless live.

I wish I was free like them.

~|~

"Did you hear about Juliette?" asks Ruth to Garret as they sit at the table.

I never call them 'mom' or 'dad' when I'm thinking of them. They haven't really been motherly or fatherly to me anyway.

"No. I haven't" says Garret, scooping up a spoon full of soup and sipping at it.

Juliette Glasco is one of the heads of Abnegation. She's quite a lovely woman, but my parents say otherwise. Apparently she's a dictator, and she punishes her child. I've heard a little about her daughter; Jillian Glasco. I haven't seen her at school, but apparently she has been abused at home by her mother, and also her father, Harlan Glasco; another head of Abnegation.

"Apparently she beat up a Factionless man" Ruth says, eating her soup.

I slowly sip mine, listening in on the conversation. I try to make it look like I'm not listening though.

"Really?" says Garret. "I'm not surprised."

Ruth nods. "One of our journalist said that they witness the whole thing. Poor Factionless man. Erudite should be running this city."

With you near the top? Never.

"I talked to Joshua about it" says Ruth. "He thinks that we should be in charge."

Joshua is the head of Erudite; a big headed, selfish jerk who has the biggest nose in the world.

"What about Isaac?" asks Garret.

Ruth shrugs. "He doesn't want to be a part of it. Amity is peaceful, remember? The last thing Isaac wants is to be in an argument."

Isaac. The head of Amity. Black hair, green eyes, and devilishly handsome for his age. I don't like him like that; but he looks great for his age of forty something.

"Greg?" asks Garret.

Ruth nods. "I did. He wants no part in it also."

Greg. Head of Candor. Not a very nice man.

Garret grabs moms hand, staring into her eyes. "We will take over this city; don't you worry."

I time out for the rest of the night, and I scrape the plates after dinner, and I have a shower, and plonk into bed.

I lay here for a few minutes...pondering.

What's Divergent?

And more importantly, what's Intransigent?

_______________________

WILL BE MORE AND WILL BE MISTAKES