Chapter one

Chapter one

I've never been so nervous in my life.

I imagine wrestling a lion, and being less nervous than I am now. Then again, I'm imagining. I probably couldn't wrestle a lion.

I hear a roar of laughter, followed by cheers and hoots so I turn in my seat to see a few dauntless kids messing about.

I bet they could do it. Of course they could; their Dauntless.

I sit at the Erudite table in the lunchroom, waiting for my name to be called to take my Aptitude test. My fellow Erudite sit around me, all reading, or studying. But I sit at the very edge, twiddling my thumbs and biting my lip.

I'm dreading the two words that could come out of those speakers at any moment.

Winter Storm.

This test is like the test of all tests; the one that can literally decide your fate. It shows you what faction you are most like, and what you should choose on the choosing day.

Here, in my city, we are split up into five different factions.

The head faction is Abnegation; the selfless. They wear grey, and I never hear them speak. My mother says that they are despicable people that really steal all the food that they say they give to the poor. But I don't believe her.

Next is Erudite; the intelligent. We wear blue, and almost everyone of us have a pair of glasses. Most are just like props; they apparently make us look smarter. Erudite is my home, where I have grown up. Erudite is my current faction.

And there's Candor; the honest ones. They believe that honesty is everything, and if you ever want to know an opinion from a Candor, expect the raw truth. Of course, I've caught some Candor kids lying. The teachers believe the students though, because Candor don't tell lies. They wear black and white; Truth and lies.

And then there's Amity; The peaceful, happy-go-lucky people. I hear them singing often, and they also like to paint and do arty things. They usually wear yellow, orange or red. At lest they have a few combinations to choose from. I'm stuck in blue.

The Factionless; the name says it all. The poor people of this city with no faction. The last place I want to be.

And last, but nowhere near least, Dauntless; the fearless, outgoing hooligans. They tend to wear black and leather with piercings and tattoos. They get to wield weapons, jump off trains and run around like they own this city.

Which...they don't. Fortunately.

"Winter Storm" crackles the speaker from the roof top.

All heads turn to me and I feel a sense of anger wash over me. Like they shouldn't look at me. I shove my emotions aside, standing up and walking down the hall to the test rooms

My name is Winter Elise Storm. I am 16 years old, my faction is Erudite.

I repeat that statement in my head a few times, just so I won't forget it.

I stare at my pale hands as I near the end of the hall where my test room awaits.

Why am I so different? I am not normal; that's for sure. My skin is pale, and my eyes are freakishly bright blue. Oh, and the colour of my hair.

It's white.

Not blond; white.

I'm not the favourite in my class, you could say. It's not like I'm unlikeable...it's just that I am the smart one. I'm the smartest in all the kids in my class. My parents absolutely love that about me. My fellow school mates...well, not so much.