SIX

"I think we're like fire and water.

I think we're like wind and sea.

You're burnin' up, I'm coolin' down.

You're up, I'm down. You're blind, I see."

IRIS MONROE

September 9th, 2021

Stop staring at the clock, Iris.

The more you look at it, the slower time will go by.

"What time did you schedule the meeting?" Scarlett asks while picking up her purse.

I sigh and push my hair back with one hand to keep it out of my face, "He told me 4:30 when he finally responded to me."

She chuckles at my blunt and unamused tone, but I'm sure anyone else would be, too, in this situation.

It took me an entire week to finally get in touch with Mr. Styles. When he finally did respond, it was a short response to one of the many emails I sent him regarding my concerns with Naomi. He simply stated a date and a time that he would be here.

There is only so much detail I can get into through an email, but Scarlett and I have both noticed some concerning troubles that Naomi is having with reading. Part of me wished that I would be wrong and that a parent-teacher meeting wouldn't be necessary, but she fell behind with each new reading lesson or assignment.

She has trouble pronouncing words that are at her reading level, and when Scarlett or myself attempt to help her work through the issue, she shuts down. According to her, 'reading doesn't matter, Ms. Monroe' and 'I've got it, Ms. Sinclair,' but it's clear she needs a little extra support.

Seeing the frustration that she's dealing with is why I didn't mind trying over and over again to get in contact with her dad. After many unanswered phone calls and emails, he finally responded.

September 9th, 4:30 p.m. at the school.

Mr. Harry Styles

Founder and CEO Fine Line Records

That's all I got, and I'll take it.

Usually, I'm the one who tries to schedule the meeting rather than being told when it will be, but Naomi's education is what I'm laser-focused on.

If this meeting allows me to help her and make learning how to read fun, I'll deal with it.

"That was sort of rude, but just keep Naomi in mind to get through it," she attempts to be optimistic.

She doesn't have to stay for the meeting, that's why it's easy for her.

Talking to parents is absolutely terrifying. Especially, when I'm informing them of some concerns I have in regard to their child. The horror stories of parent-teacher conferences that I've heard have been enough to cause my skin to itch due to my anxiety for today.

Hopefully, it'll go smoothly, and we can work to help Naomi.

"You're right. That's all that matters," I agree.

If I go into this with a terrible attitude, it won't go well. I can't be negative before he's even shown up.

"There's the positive Iris that I love!" She exclaims happily while clapping her hands. "Now that you aren't close to ripping your hair out, I am going to go home and drool on the couch. Are we still on for tomorrow night?" She asks me.