CH26 HER PAIN AND ANGER...

Start from the beginning

Akshara slowly shook her head.

“I don’t know about marriage, Ma. I don’t know if I will even be ready for it. I can’t deal with that. Not now.”

Her father was about to say something, but her mother interjected.

“We can talk tomorrow. Why don’t you go to sleep?”

Akshara nodded and looked at her father.

“Daddy, I need time. I am in a bad place and don’t talk to me about marriage. That’s not happening anytime soon.”

Her father looked shocked. “That is not the right thing to say, Akshara. How can you not get married and have your own life?”

She looked at her father for a long moment.

“What if I never want to get married? Do I not get to be your daughter for the rest of my life? Am I such a big burden that you want to get me married and send me away.”

“No.” Her mother was quick to respond. “You will never be a burden for us. We only want your happiness.”

“Good night, Akshara.” Her father patted her and left the room.

Her mother placed her palm on her cheek.

“Who is it, baby?”

She hugged her mother and cried.

“I love him, Ma. I cannot live without him. I hate him, but I cannot forget him, never will.”

Her mother looked at the ceiling, fighting back angry tears as she consoled her daughter. Her daughter’s happiness was the most important thing for her, and she would do what was best for her child.

The next morning, Akshara was in the garden in the back of the house trying to distract herself with some gardening work. She was halfway through ploughing the vegetable patch when her mother came out to sit with her.

“Akshara, I need to talk to you.”

She turned to look at her mother. “Ma, not again.”

“No, baby. Hear me out.” It was a plea.

“Okay. What do you want to talk about?” Akshara stood up and walked over to where her mother sat.

Her mother took her hand in hers and placed a small object in her palm.

“This belongs to you.”

Akshara looked at the small gold ring that her mother placed in her hand, and her eyes widened.

“How did this get here?”

Her mother went silent, but Akshara would not let go.

“Ma, I gave this ring to Abhimanyu… how did…” her words fumbled as she found it hard to speak.