Chapter 34

When Tyquez came back from the store, he hands Jordan the medicine and thermometer.

"Thank you", said Jordan.

"See I can get the right thing", said Tyquez.

Jordan smiles. "I never said you couldn't. I guess I'm just used to doing it all myself", said Jordan. "Well not all, but most of everything."

Jordan put the thermometer under Alexis's armpit.

"Marcus, isn't mine", said Tyquez.

Jordan looks at Tyquez.

"Excuse me?", she asked.

"You heard me", said Tyquez. "Hell, you probably already know."

"Marcus is your child. Who else is it going to be?", asked Jordan.

"I don't know. Maybe Daryl was right about something else", said Tyquez.

"I haven't been in contact with Hakeem since I met with him in jail before I got pregnant. Other than me talking to him at the baby shower but I was pregnant by then. How would he be Hakeem's? Tyquez he looks just like you", said Jordan.

"Well DNA don't fucking lie, but people do", said Tyquez.

"You mean like you?? Because you told me you weren't going to get a DNA test done anyway", said Jordan.

"Well I did...and guess what? He ain't mine", said Tyquez.

"I didn't have sex with anybody else", said Jordan.

"Then who's is he??", asked Tyquez.

"I don't know what to tell you", said Jordan. "I can't reproduce on my own. You and Hakeem are the only two men I have been with."

"You know what, since you wanna act dumb how about I just show you", said Tyquez as he pulled out his phone.

"Thought you said you wouldn't get a DNA test anyway", said Jordan.

"Well I did anyway", said Tyquez as he hands her his phone.

Jordan reads the email.

"You need to get it done again", said Jordan.

"The proof is right there, Jordan", said Tyquez.

Alexis starts crying.

Jordan starts to get overwhelmed.

"Let me just get her situated, I'll get her medicine and then—"

"Four years. Four fucking years!?", Tyquez shouted.

Alexis started crying even worse.

"Ty, please", said Jordan as she tried to keep herself together. "Please, I'm confused and—"

"I see why we never got married. God was helping me a dodge a fat bullet, you lying, cheating ass b—"

"Don't you dare call me out of my name", said Jordan. "I'm a liar, yes. I'm a cheater, yes. But I did not cheat on you. Have I lied to you before? Yes. We all lie. You do it....but I ain't a bitch."

Tyquez looked at her with hate in his eyes.

"Marcus, is yours. I don't care what that damn test says", said Jordan. "Let me get our daughter situated so that we can talk about this like two civilized adults."

"Civilized? I just found out that I've been lied to for the past 4 years", said Tyquez. "You expect me to be cool about this?? Not only that but you're still lying to me!"

"I'm going to leave, until you calm down", said Jordan as she stood up.

"Don't go running now", said Tyquez.

"I'm scared", said Jordan quickly.

"Because your wrong", said Tyquez.

"No because of your temper. I don't want anything to happen that you'll regret", said Jordan.

"The only thing I regret is wasting my years with you...I mean like how you get 'em is how they leave you right?", asked Tyquez. "Here I am thinking about putting my career to the side to be there for my family but...I'm just a step father."

"Alexis and Marcus is yours", said Jordan.

"Well we know for sure Marcus isn't, so let's just go ahead and test my DNA against Alexis's", said Tyquez.

Jordan looked down and shook her head.

"I have to step outside. Alexis doesn't feel well, as you can see she's crying, I need to make her feel better because she's been suffering all night. She has a temperature of 102.", said Jordan. "Don't worry about testing Alexis and you don't have to worry about any more of your years going to waste. I'm done."

"You mad? I don't care. How the fuck you gonna be mad about the proof?", asked Tyquez.

Jordan starts crying. "I didn't have sex with anybody else!", she Jordan. "I told you, I'd never do something like that to anybody again!"

Tyquez looked at the pain in her eyes. He actually wanted to believe her.

"I had no time to cheat on you. I was still getting over my divorce, I was still getting used to being with a good man again...why in the hell would I go out and get another one when I had you?", she asked.

"I don't know...that's what I'm trying to find out",'said Tyquez.

"You need to get the test done again", said Jordan. "And from somewhere else. Multiple places. That is our son. The same son you held when he was born. The same son you wouldn't let go during the hospital stay. The same son you were concerned about every time the nurse touched him and took him back for a screening. That is your son!"

Tyquez looks down.

"Get it done again...it'll be positive...and even if you feel stupid and apologize...I'll accept it but I can't do this. I thought things were changing and I thought we were ready for marriage but we aren't. You don't trust me...you never did and I get it. I cheated on the man I used to love and didn't regret because the first time in a while I was happy, I felt free...you'll always remember me that way because first impressions are everything.", said Jordan. "We haven't gotten married yet and maybe...maybe you're right. That's for a reason...but not because I've been lying or you've been lying or because Marcus or Alexis aren't your children...it's probably because God knows what's better for us...excuse me.

"Jordan—"

"And another thing...I'm going to pay the rest of that money to those guys...I'm in the process of selling the business", said Jordan.

"Why would you do that?", asked Tyquez.

"Because at the end of the day... I am who I am. And I'm always putting the people I love before me.", said Jordan. "A career, a business...it doesn't mean shit when it comes to family."

"Jordan, I'll get another test done", said Tyquez.

"You should've did that because you came in here and almost called me a bitch in front of your daughter. Oh I'm sorry, according to you, we don't know who's she is", said Jordan. "Excuse me"

Jordan walks past him and walks out of the room.

TO BE CONTINUED...