The man who stood in front of her was not the one she fell in love with. The one who refused to look into her eyes had a shield up like he didn’t want her to see the real him.

“Abhimanyu, I am not going anywhere until you tell me what happened.” She sat in the chair.

He walked to the bed and sat on it. “I owe you no explanation.”

“Yes, you do because I was worried sick.”

“Okay, thank you. I am fine.”

She was running out of options to get him to talk.

“Abhimanyu, why did you stop messaging me after yesterday morning?”

“I was figuring out some things.”

“What?” She maintained a calm tone.

“I was trying to figure out if I could go for a day without being in touch with you.”

She was confused. “Why would you do that?”

He shrugged. “The tour is almost done, and I wanted to see if I can wean myself from you.”

“What? What the heck are you talking about?” She raised her voice.

“Listen, Akshara… what we had has been fun while it lasted, and I don’t see a future because we have very different lifestyles.”

“Lifestyles?” She was in disbelief.

“Okay, I don’t have time for this crap tonight. All I am saying is we cannot be together anymore.”

“What?’

“Yes, you heard me.”

“Are you… are you saying what we had was superficial?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know what we had, it was good, but I can’t go on like this.”

“Why not?” She batted away angry tears.

“The record label company, I got the deal with them, and they agreed to move forward only if it is me.”

She blinked as if trying to process his words. “That is good news, but what does that have to do with what we have?”

He stood up by the connecting doors looking at her.

“A deal with a record label company needs every part of my life working for me, including my life partner. I need someone who is a socialite, someone who has a mass following, and who can do the marketing for me.”

“Are you listening to yourself? This is not you.” She let out a sob.