eleven

Tate's POV

I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to meeting Harry for whatever this job is that he has in mind for me. But part of me knows that I'm going to go simply because I need the money and I'm desperate. 

I can feel that this is going to change things in one way or another and my anxiety starts to rise because of it. I'm going to be seeing Harry outside of the diner and potentially am going to be getting into something that I shouldn't be. I'm apprehensive because I don't think that a person like Harry is making all of his money legally. I have a bad feeling that he has something to do with the illegal businesses that run this city. But I really don't have any choice now; this is the only way that I have found to get what I need to continue my studies.

Maybe I shouldn't just assume that Harry is involved in some sort of illegal scene. Maybe he runs a legitimate business and just needs some extra hands this weekend. Please let that be it. 

At this point, if he can get me enough money to cover my tuition, I really don't care how he does it. 

He texted me the address of where I should meet him, but I'm not sure if I'm in the right spot or not. This house looks far too nice and big for it to belong to a single guy. There's also a big SUV in the driveway, which I've never seen him drive to the diner. I've only ever seen him on his motorcycle, ripping out of the parking lot with a deafening screech that can be heard for at least a minute after he has disappeared from my eye line. 

Against my better judgement, I begin walking up to the front door. But before I am able to raise my hand to make a fist to knock, the door opens and he appears in front of me.

"Hello T," the sound of my name coming out of his mouth startles and stops me in my tracks. "come in."

"I don't think I want to know how you know my name." I have a feeling that Diana is the one behind this. I wish that she would just stay out of this specific part of my life. She does not need to get mixed back up in this type of world along with me. That's the last thing that I would want for her.

"How I know doesn't matter, all that does is that I do." He says this as I step pass him and enter his house, one of the nicest homes I've been inside. It really does surprise me that this is where he lives. He does not seem like the type of person to spend his money on something like a big and expansive house. 

"So," I begin, "what's this mysterious job that you won't tell me anything about?" I'm afraid that he can tell how nervous I am from how wavering my voice is when I ask this question. 

"I'm about to show you," he grabs my arm as he walks out the front door.

"Oh. We're going right now?" I kinda thought we were going to debrief before we went and did anything, but I guess we're just getting right into it.

"Yeah, right now." He seemed anxious and like he hasn't stopped pacing all day. Now I'm starting to be really nervous about where he is bringing me. 

If I'm being totally honest, I never really thought about this until this very moment but, I don't know this guy. Like, yeah, he comes into my diner and we speak a repeated script nearly every day, but how much do I really know about him? Not much. I know his name, if he was telling the truth, and that he rides a motorcycle. I know that the scent of his cologne is enough to make my heart skip a beat and a half. Like I said, I barely know this guy.

But honestly, am I really about to get into a vehicle with this guy? He's essentially a stranger and I didn't tell anyone where I was going. I guess I really am that clueless. 

Turns out, the motorcycle isn't the only vehicle that he has. The black SUV seemed to become more daunting the closer that I got to it. As we approached the passenger door, he opened it for me and stepped to the side to let me in. That I was not expecting at all. I don't think any guy has ever opened a car door for me. The bar really is in hell, isn't it?

Sitting in this car made me feel like I was a part of something important, a larger plan. The whole vehicle just feels much more luxurious than my little car does. The interior made up completely by black leather matches the exterior perfectly. It almost feels like this car is brand new; he must clean it a lot to keep it looking like this.

Seeing him step into the driver's seat was an unexpected sight for me, even though of course he would be driving. He's becoming almost too human for me now. He's no longer just a random guy who I serve at the diner, he's Harry. He has a real life and comes to the diner for only a split second of his life. It's weirdly comforting to know that he doesn't just exist to make my shifts that much more difficult.

"So, where are we going?" I finally break the silence as he pulls out of his driveway.

"We're going to a party." He didn't break eye contact with the road.

"Wait but I thought we were doing a "job" not hanging out. Harry, this is not what I signed up for and you know that." I can't believe that he's trying to get me to spend time with him. If there's no money involved, I'm not interested in this. 

"Don't flatter yourself, sweetheart. The party is the job." Again, his face showed no emotion. I breathed a sigh of relief that I would be making some kind of profit from tonight. "Trust me, I wouldn't be bringing you to a party just because."

With that sentence my heart sank a little. Is it weird for me to crave his approval so bad? It's not like he actually matters in the grand scheme of things. 

Suppressing that emotion, I ask, "So what is it that I am supposed to be doing tonight?" Since it's in public, I'm assuming that it won't be anything too illegal.

"You're supervising."

Fuck, he really is giving me nothing to go on.

"Could you maybe elaborate?" This conversation is like pulling teeth.

He slams on the brakes and puts the car in park before snapping his neck over to face me. 

"We are going to a party. My guys are going to be doing a delivery and are going to be distributing at said party. You are going to be my watch. You are going to tell me if something goes wrong and I am going to be in this car sitting a street away so that no one suspects that it's my guys doing all this. Tensions are high right now and I really don't have time to sit here and explain this to an innocent little girl." 

And with that, he put the SUV back into drive and we did not say another word for the rest of the twenty minute drive. 

a/n

i know. i know. 

it's taken me FOREVER to get this out, but I SWEAR IM GOING TO BE UPDATING MORE OFTEN.

also, i'm thinking of making a tiktok for this account. what do you guys think?

tell me your thoughts on the book so far! i love reading your comments and can't wait to get even deeper into this story!

love you <33333