12

"Naruto," the Sandaime Hokage said holding a headband with his right hand. He pushed it towards the blond, who just stared at it. "I know you lost the one I previously gave you. In any case, treasure this one as you will now be officially a Genin of Konoha."

That meant that Anbu life was over. It had been a short journey in the black ops, but a fruitful one that made him understand things in a new light and he was able to make some plans as well as plant his seeds. Agreeing with the Sandaime in joining Anbu hadn't been the wrong option, but a right one that would prove useful. He had gained a lot, including precious battle experience and got more familiar with the workings of Konoha's structures.

Even so, being Genin wasn't all fun and games. Naruto would rather he be given another rank other than genin. The rank was the lowest and it would be nothing but troublesome. He would be forced back into the grace of the brats he left at the academy.

Naruto wasn't really looking forward to engaging that group. Their heads were filled with fun and games. Life for him wasn't like that. He had serious matters to handle than playing in the park or playing a game of hide and seek. He hoped he would not be forced into the company of useless brats who would be nothing more than annoyances.

The blond stared at the headband before him for a long minute before grasping it with his right hand. He then tied it around his forehead and looked back at the Sandaime who was smiling broadly.

"It looks good on you," the old man said happily. "This proves that you're a shinobi of Konoha and that your loyalty lies with the Leaf," the old man added in a bit of a serious tone.

Seriously that was about just pushing it. The Sandaime clearly knew that he wasn't loyal to Konoha and that he would abandon this village without even thinking twice. The old man knew this and yet was still saying that. Perhaps he just trusted him to stay behind. Well, as long as the old man remained Hokage, Naruto would fight for Konoha, but the moment things change, he was fleeing.

Appearances did matter in this shinobi life. While he could not wear the damn metal plate with a smile, he could wear it as if he was proud. He could not afford to be seen glaring the headband with resentment. That would definitely look bad on him and it would give the eyes watching him a reason to act.

For now, he would play the part.

Naruto spoke, "I will make sure never to lose this one," he said calmly. "It is what is expected of a Konoha shinobi. Genin's are put into teams, who am I going to be put in a team with?"

"You can make a guess," The Sandaime said with a smile. "I did have some resistance in putting this team together. there are some people who think that you will be a bad influence on their kids and think that you shouldn't even be put in a genin cell, but rather continue working as an Anbu."

Interestingly enough, most of the clan heads seemed to be in agreement with the thought brought up by Danzo. It had been the first time that they had agreed with the war hawk. Perhaps they were also worried about Naruto's loyalties towards the hidden Leaf. There had been arguments that sending him into a genin cell would be wasting his skills. It was to better serve the village as Anbu than being a normal shinobi.

Hiashi in particular had been vocal in his disproval of his choice. Despite the man's political backing, the Sandaime had stood firm on his choice and reminded everyone that he was the Hokage and that his decisions were final. Of course that hadn't stopped Hiashi arguing with him, but the Sandaime had dully reminded the man of his place.

Although the Hyuga had discarded his eldest daughter, he really didn't want her in a team with Naruto. The Sandaime didn't really understand why because the blond was not really a disease and if anything, it was Hinata who would learn something from Naruto. That is if the blond doesn't ignore her.