Decisions

Everything happened in the blink of an eye. Nellie hardly had time to process what was going on. Violet had thrust a bag into her arms, tossing in a change of clothes and stockings. She was fussing over Nell's state, muttering to herself. On the other end of this ordeal, Nellie felt dreadful and disoriented. "Now, don't go falling apart on me, Nellie." Vi's quivering voice whispered thickly in the darkness. "Come on, that's it—a new blouse and skirt will do." She helped her friend dress. Then, Violet wet a rag and handed it over to Nellie. "Use this to clean your face. Hurry up! Gods know, we've found ourselves in a pickle this time. You understand what's going to happen, don't you?"

Nellie blinked aimlessly. Her eyes burned, and her head throbbed. A wince released itself from behind her bloody, swollen mouth. The cold of the cloth on her brow felt lovely. But what was it Violet just asked her? Did she understand what was going to happen? What had happened? All Nell knew was she was shivering and not from the cold. The pitiful sight of her caused Violet's heart to sink. Haphazardly she threw clean knickers into Nellie's sack before tying it off and taking her friend's hands in her own. It hit Violet. This moment would be the last time she saw little Nellie. They embraced with tears. "No matter what you see or hear downstairs, you promise me you'll do as I ask of you." Violet was attempting to explain Nellie's situation to her. It was clear. The ordeal had left her unsettled— at the very least. "You're going to leave this place, Nell."

"What about Mr. Pick—."

Violet shook her head. "Your dwarf master saw to him. I have no doubts. That said, you cannot stay here anymore. They'll hang you both in the streets if you do. Now listen very carefully." She straightened Nellie's posture with hands on her shoulders. Her face held all seriousness. "Go to Thorin's room and grab his things. I will go and ready a horse for you both. Stay quiet and out of sight. The less attention you bring to yourselves, the better it will be. Go on now, Nellie. Once you've gathered the lot, make your way down the back staircase. You can both slip away."

So many things ran through Nellie's mind. What had Violet meant, her dwarf master took care of Pickthorn? Thorin couldn't have killed him, surely? Her eyes grew wide, remembering the cast iron pan crashing into her husband's skull. Everything began to sink back in. It came in rushes and waves of renewed adrenaline. Her chest began to heave with heavily panting breaths. "He tried to... He tried to—."

"He tried and failed. Now steady yourself. There will be time for you to reflect later. Right now, I need you to make haste." There was no remorse for Pickthorn in Violet's voice. Had anything been found there, it was a sense of urgency. Nellie nodded quickly and quietly before setting out to gather Thorin's belongings and leave the Pig and Whistle forever.

The door to Thorin's room was left ajar. Inside, a soft glow emitted from a dying candle, cast shadows about the chamber. It was just enough light for Nellie to see by, gathering what little was unpacked in her arms and placing them into one of Thorin's three bags. She walked the length of the room, noticing in the fading light Thorin's pipe sitting atop the small writing desk. Carefully, Nellie tiptoed toward the item to avoid spaces on the floor that creaked and cracked. When she took hold of it with her good hand and pulled back, a metal candlestick had caught on her blouse and crashed to the floor. An unsealed letter softly drifted downward, resting steadily on the toe of her shoe. Nellie cursed herself for being so noisy with the candleholder at first, then noticing the piece of parchment, she stooped down and picked it up. When she opened the letter and saw it addressed to her, Nellie quickly threw Thorin's pipe into a sachel and the rest of the bags onto the bed; she dashed for the dwindling candle, desperate to read the contents the piece of paper contained. Obtaining a focus on his script, Nellie held her breath.

Dearest Nellie,

Although I am aware of the dangers that might find us should others come upon this letter firsthand,