Chapter 11: Clues and Chisme

Fairy territory, formally known as Magic Meadows, did not register on the navigation system

Fairy territory, formally known as Magic Meadows, did not register on the navigation system. Rowena smoothed out the purple polyester dress that met her knees. She wiggled her toes in the white Go-Go boots Abby had given her before adjusting her red wig.

"So, you're telling me I've passed fairy territory every day and didn't realize it?" Rowena asked Cross, whose hands were on the steering wheel of the van Matt borrowed from the enforcer's unit. He tugged at the scarf around his neck. The disguise Abby procured for him consisted of a long-sleeved white shirt and blue bell bottoms.

Matt, dressed in brown bell bottoms and a green short-sleeved shirt, leaned forward. "The fairies glamoured the place. Humans only see a long stretch of highway. You can never enter unless a species from PUN accompanies you."

"That's the Paranormal United Nations," Abby reminded her, adjusting the black glasses perched on her nose. She wore a long orange sweater and a red skirt.

"I remember Angelina and Winona mentioning them," Rowena said. "What other species are we talking about here? Vampires? Gnomes? The Chupacabra?"

"Yes, yes, and no—the Chupacabra doesn't believe in working with others." Abby grinned. She was watching Liam pat his wig of curly hair. It extended across his face in a full beard. He wore blue bell bottom jeans and a blue button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

"What about witches?" Rowena asked. "Witches cannot enter?"

"They aren't part of PUN," Liam grouched from the backseat. He turned to Abby. "Why does my disguise make me look like Bob Ross?"

"Who is Bob Ross?" Matt asked.

Rowena sucked in air, her mouth falling open, and her eyes widening. "You don't know who Bob Ross is? He's the best art teacher to ever live, may he rest in peace in Heaven where he's painting clouds and happy accidents. I sometimes watch old reruns of his show because it's like listening to ASMR."

Abby chortled as Liam growled. "All you asked was to not look like a Stephen King character. Besides, you do not look like Bob Ross."

"The name 'Bob' is embroidered on my shirt!" He pointed to the small pocket on his chest embroidered with gold thread.

"Could you all please be quiet?" Cross grumbled. He turned the wheel, and the van lurched forward into a bright light.

Rowena gasped as they drove through a path of gnarled trees covered in twinkling lights. A pink pigeon landed on the moving car, its feathers sparkling.

"They have glittery pink pigeons in fairy territory?" Rowena asked. "This place is amazing! We get to dress like hippies, and they have magical birds."

"That is no ordinary bird," Cross said. "It's our escort. It's probably already warned the Fairy King, Giles, we are here. No matter what you do, do not underestimate King Giles. He may look like Santa Claus, but the man is devious."