chapter two | not a typical first day of school

Being the new kid at a new school was something that Bree was all too familiar with

Being the new kid at a new school was something that Bree was all too familiar with. At first, she hated it, knowing how nerve-wracking it was to start over in a new place, along with trying to make friends without coming across as awkward to the point that no one wanted to be around her if they could help it. But the more times she had gone over this routine of switching schools, the more she stopped caring about what others would think of her. Just like everywhere else she had lived, Bree figured Beacon Hills wasn't going to be any different, assuming she wouldn't be here long enough to get to know any of her classmates from school, anyway.

As Bree came out of her room and into the kitchen, she could smell the bacon that was being piled up on a plate and taken to the table by her mom. She was quick to sit down and grab a few pieces, along with pouring herself some orange juice from the pitcher in front of her.

"You look nice," her mom commented, sitting down across from her daughter.

Bree had to hold back a scoff. "You always say that for every new school I have to start at," she pointed out.

"Doesn't mean it's not true," she said.

Sighing, Bree chewed on a piece of bacon. "Where's Dad?" she asked.

"I can't believe you even have to ask," her mom replied, chuckling a little.

Of course, Bree should've known that he would be locked in his office, working on a plan to trap the Alphas and get rid of them one by one. Whenever he became engrossed in his work, Bree and her mom knew to not disturb him, for he didn't like any distractions that would keep him away from working on a big case much like this one.

"Right," Bree mumbled. "Stupid question."

Letting out a sigh, her mom gave Bree a small smile. "So, are you excited for this new school?"

Bree shrugged her shoulders. "It's gonna be like every other school I've been to." Pausing, she took a sip of her orange juice before continuing. "Plus, I'm sure I won't be here long enough to get involved in any activities or make new friends."

"Well, that all depends on how long it'll take to wipe out this Alpha Pack," her mom pointed out. "Who knows how long we'll be here."

Wow, that definitely makes me feel a lot better, Bree thought, wanting to say that to her mom. But instead, she bit her tongue and continued with her breakfast. She remained quiet in her seat, finishing what was left on her plate, then finally breaking the silence once she stood up.

"I better get going, or else I'll never find a decent parking spot," she said.

"Wait, I want to get a picture!" her mom exclaimed, quickly getting up from her chair and grabbing her purse on the nearby counter.

Bree let out a groan. "Is that really necessary?" she asked in annoyance.

"It's not every day you start your junior year of high school," the woman stated, pulling out her camera. "Now go stand at the door and smile for me."