Restoration without strength

Hitoshi pulls the same jeans on from the day before. He tells himself it's because, his mother always taught him to rewear clothes before having to wash them again, and not because he didn't have any other. After he dresses, he makes sure to splash water on his face and swirl some in his mouth, just so look fresh. There isn't much he could do for his unruly hair, but he did pinch his cheeks a little, just to make himself look more alive.

  While waiting for the older couple to be ready, he takes a closer look at the bedroom. Upon closer inspection, he realizes there are faint patterns in the wallpaper. The kind that seem to go on forever, and make your eyes unfocus from staring at them for too long. 

"Hitoshi, we are ready whenever you are! No rush though", Hizashi calls from downstairs.

 Hitoshi jumps aggressively, and grits his teeth to keep the shriek of fear buried in his throat. Ringing out his hands, he walks out of the room, and down the stairs. 

 He see's Hizashi sprawled comfortably on the couch, reading a book. While Aizawa packs some snacks and water into a bag in the kitchen. 

"Hey kid, just so you know, we are going to bring some snacks and water." Aizawa looks at him, sudden feeling sprouting into his expression.

 "You don't need to worry about that, okay? If you want some food or drinks just ask." Hizashi speaks up as well, "Yeah! And we may get some food out as well, seeing as it's almost lunch time." 

 Hitoshi just stares at them. He has never been this thought of. His mother thought of him, of course she did. 

 But not in this way. 

 Not in a way that is full of caring and sincerity. His mother thought of him by talking down to him. By punishing, and teaching him lessons. This is attention, and yet he is so self centered he wants more. How ungrateful is that?

  "Kid?...Hitoshi!" 

 He jumps back defensively. Locking eyes with Aizawa, who is kneeling at his level. His hands are hovering over Hitoshi's arms, clearly not sure if he would be okay with physical contact. 

 "It's alright, you're okay." Aizawa sits down all the way, and encourages Hitoshi to do so too.   "Just relax, you are safe." Hitoshi is confused. He is not freaking out, or anything. 

 Why is Aizawa talking to him like that? His only mother talked to him like this when he had just finished a punishment. Hitoshi rejects all form of comfort, knowing he doesn't deserve it. He didn't go through a punishment to learn a lesson yet. He is still doing shit wrong.

 He stands up, and looks at the door, signaling he is ready to go. Aizawa gets up slowly, and backs away to a distance, before handing the bag to Hizashi.

 "Only Hizashi is going to take you. I would love to go, but I have to do some work.", Aizawa says.

                                               ===============================

 "Do you want some music on?", Hizashi asks, glancing over to where Hitoshi sits in the passenger seat. He decides to try something again.

 'YOU WANT TO SIGN INSTEAD OF TALK?' Hizashi has to sign with one hand, to keep one on the steering wheel. 

 Hitoshi's fisted hand shakes a bit as he signs, 'YES'. 

 His chest blooms with pride as he gets the boy to communicate. 'WHY DON'T WE GO TO THE CLOTHES STORE FIRST, THEN GET SOME FOOD.' Hitoshi nods wordlessly, but it's clear that he wasn't going to deny anything.